Thread: Can you edit out frost from a windshield using Pinnacle 17?

Default Can you edit out frost from a windshield using Pinnacle 17?

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I searched around and didn't find anything close to what I'm looking for. I have footage from my dash cam that I handed over to the police. I ran a red light and could have injured or killed someone. I'm trying to see whether I can use the seemingly useless footage to satisfy my curiosity about whether the person who drove into me did so on purpose. If not, I'll know for sure. If so, I'll take the clear footage back to the police. I am suspicious because when I got out to apologize, she shouted that I ran a red light and "nearly killed a pedestrian." That much is true -- had the pedestrian set off 2 seconds earlier, I would have hit her. The thing that bothers me is that the driver was more concerned about my traffic offense than she was about the Jeep (which belongs to her husband). I apologized to both the driver and the pedestrian (who ran up a few seconds later) and the driver of the Jeep gave her a ride to the Police Station. I followed them and handed over my SDHC card, the police made a DVD copy and issued me a $287 ticket for failing to stop at red light. That wasn't enough for the driver of the Jeep who insisted I had been reckless and speeding prior to "sailing through a red light." The speed limit is 50 and I was not speeding. I am responsible for $5,000+ in damages to both vehicles (if it matters, the damage was to the rear passenger's side of my car (which tore off most of the back bumper) and to the front driver's side of the Jeep).

Is there any trick in Pinnacle 17 that can "subtract" the spots of ice on the windshield? Can the windshield "image noise", being static and somewhat predictable between consecutive frames, be somehow subtracted from adjacent frames? If so, is there software that could render new frames using images from traffic scene? I suppose it would be a similar task to delete any object from a video that is static with respect to the lens, correct? Does anybody know if this is possible using Pinnacle, and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks.

P.S. I will NEVER drive my car again without being sure I have proper visibility. Lesson learned with nobody injured (thank God)!

This is an interesting question

Some of the young bucks on this forum might have some ideas but one thing for sure is that there is no way to re-create information that wasn't captured in the first place (I think Claude Shannon said that but I'm not 100% sure)

Since the car (and thus the windshield) was in motion with respect to the scene, then in theory you could (possibly) fill in some blotchy spots with information from nearby frames where the same part of the scene was not blocked out by the same part of the windshield

With that said

I worked in forensic imaging around the time when law enforcement switched from film to digital -- defence lawyers often had a field day when it was determined that a crime scene photo had been "cleaned up" in photoshop -- I remember preparing briefs in which I had to describe each transformation that was applied to a photo, how it was applied, etc. -- in fact I remember applying a 2D fourier transform to a notepad in order to clean up a latent phone number and it changed a two to a four! That's like poor Mr Tuttle in Brazil.

I guess what I am saying is that even if you managed to clean up the video, I'm not sure how far you'd get with it

Good point about diminishing the forensic value by editing (however, the police do have a copy of the original). I think the issue with the ice patches obscuring the scene is that I would need to use previous frames to generate the actual content that is behind the patch. With this moving image, I should be able to assume image content from one frame to the next that is quite similar. I downloaded a free image enhancing tool (RoboRealm 2.59.0) and applied numerous transformation algorithms but my best effort was to capture 512 frames (the max. allowed by Chasys Draw) around the time of collision and change the gamma, brightness and lambda settings to reveal the front of the Jeep. Still, after having worked on repairing the footage for several hours, I don't think I'll get far with it. I've proved to myself that the driver of the Jeep had ample opportunity to avoid my car (I was traveling at 46 - 49 km/h and she entered the intersection at 12 - 14 km/h) so the best I can do is hand over the still images and my calculations to the police and see what they say. At any rate, I was at fault and I can't prove the Jeep driver had intentionally hit me.

If I were you I'd just throw myself at the mercy of the court

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Cleaning up is one thing fiction based on memory is very different.
    What are you suggesting?

Default video evidence

FWIW, I'm not convinced that the footage you have could be cleaned up to the point where you could see someone's intent ( that's what I understand from yr Post, you wish to do).

I'd be inclined to go back to the junction and check the signal timing - this might show that this other driver did not wait until the junction was clear, but rather looked at the lights and accelerated when it went green (Ie without surveying that it was safe to move off ). Were they seen stationary in yr clip?
    Don't delay as traffic engineers could change the timing (eg if there is an "Event" locally) and then that would not be useful.

If you are up a blind alley in Court, introducing the "timing" might help, as it is unlikely the prosecutor will go out with a stop-watch ( although your videocamera will be far easier).

That dash-cam footage is pretty unclear, but you might argue that our eyes have wipers (avoid the word "blink" ) and the camera lens wasn't wiped at the start of the journey - indeed I doubt anyone does, ever.
    I hear a passenger - did they offer any Evidence?

+You might re-run the route when there's better lighting/visibility, as I'm struggling to see a red light or any light at eye-level. If it's against the sky (at that time of year) then I guess this is happening often.... Check also that all junction lamps are working, etc. The other driver has a very good view under that lighting, so it's surprising they ran into you (did I misunderstand that?), . . . were they on the phone, perhaps?
    Good luck, - at least no-one was hurt, you say.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-11-2014 at 04:39 PM.