Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ponces

Default Ponces

I think the correct word is Ponce, but basically I am watching a well-filmed documentary in which a group of Ponces are being towed behind an ice breaker to recreate Shackleton's journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia - makes you realize that good filming doesn't make up for Ponces - Shackleton had to row for seven days in wet underpants - my 11 year old niece could be towed behind an ice breaker - come on! - although they are using a GoPro - they are calling it "Shackleton's Nightmare" but Shackleton's trip to South Georgia is probably the second-most heroic journey in human history - the most heroic is Shackleton's overland journey after arriving on South Georgia - if we weren't Ponces we'd hold the next annual meeting there - are we? No are we?
    Last edited by zamiotana; 01-09-2014 at 03:56 AM.

In total agreement with you about the most heroic journeys.
    I watched the recreation, not easy for them. But safe in the knowledge that somewhere, an aircraft of some sort could whisk them away after a few hours notice, lingered in my mind while I watched.
    By Shackleton's standards it was just ... a training excercise.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

It's a bit like the trip to the South pole by our greatest drain on the Rescue Services... Ranulf Feinnes. From the side it looked like he was gallantly struggling on skis towing a sled with his gear on it. Zoom to a wide shot and you see the tractors and support team following him!

I'm not saying that I could do it unaided and on my own, but having a massive support team a few hundred yards away does reduce the danger somewhat.

This reminds me of when the Top Gear guys drove to the North Pole.

Blog Entries

This is all a bit negative. No way are these guys the intrepid adventurers of the past, but lets make a distinction between the real event and making a film. How many times have we seen it written here that the "truth" in a film is what the camera sees, not what actually happens?
    If it makes a good film or it helps explain the subject (Attenborough and the polar bear cubs spring to mind) then so what - so long as people don't get confused and suppose that Clarkson is an intrepid adventurer in real life.
    Tim

A shame this morphed into Clarkson's japes - The original OP's comments on the 'Shackleton' recreation was supposed to show it was carried out in 'Ernest' (sic).
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Blog Entries

I think the problem is that none of us (me included, big time) have any idea how we would do in such an emergency as Shackleton had. I would probably panic and end up crying in the corner.

I think that we have become so soft that, for our generation, even being pulled along behind a boat with rescue a few seconds away, is seen as a challenge.

My biggest problem would have been choosing who to eat when the rations ran out - Do you choose someone you like, or don't like?
    If you chose someone you didn't like, and you liked em after you'd eaten, would they have gone 'up' in your estimation?
    Drifting too far into 'what ifs' now - Elevensis calls

Blog Entries

I agree with Tim.

It is perhaps more of a statement of the sensationalism in media (as opposed to the "softness" of the general public). I assume that these chaps are "ordinary people", i.e. they would not ordinarily do anything remotely adventurous. I assume that it's this juxtaposition that the production company are hoping to exploit (look at these ordinary people doing extraordinary things). In the cold "reality", the extraordinary is tempered by an expert crew. More to the point extraordinary people, by their very nature, are few and far between. Although not a sterling example, Guy Martin is an example of someone living on the edge. On various productions, he has been heavily involved in the design of a project and always the one putting his neck on the line.

OK OK -- upon careful reflection I agree to ratchet "Ponce" down a notch to "Tosser" -- does that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast