Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Canon 70D questions !!!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    23

    Default Canon 70D questions !!!

    Hi Guys,

    I am an enthusiast photographer but have been wanting to get into videography for a while.
    My gear is a Canon 60D and the kit 18-135mm IS lens (non-STM) and the canon 50mm f1.8 prime lens.

    I want to upgrade my equipment, especially my lenses. Now that I do both photography as well as plan to do videography the lens and camera have to be good for both.
    So here are the questions !!!

    1) Is it really worth upgrading to Canon 70D over 60D because of the EOS 70D's Dual Pixel CMOS focusing technology? I have read it provides smooth auto-focusing when doing videography but do you guys actually find that feature useful (or does it even work with 60D?) or manual focusing is still the way and better way to go?
    I don't really have problems with manual focusing. I can see a point in automatic focusing only if it can precisely track and keep in focus on a moving object in the video mode, but I don't know how good 70D is at it hence the question.

    2) Lenses. I am debating between the Canon 24-105mm L f4.0 and 18-135 STM IS lenses. One one hand I prefer the L lens because it will provide a better picture quality for photography, (as well as will last longer, since I might go full frame down the road and the L lens will work with full-frame) but on the other hand I have read that STM is better for video silent focusing. Also I have read that STM lens has "dynamic Image Stabilization". Is it significantly better for video IS when compared to regular IS lenses?
    I can only see a point in getting the STM lens if the auto focusing on 70D is actually working and is better then manual focusing and also the dynamic IS is significantly better to regular IS of all other lenses.


    Any help as well as any other recommendations as far as lenses and camera bodies are very welcome !!!

    Thanks !!!
    Last edited by Van Gogh; 01-04-2014 at 04:58 AM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Let me start off by saying I'm not a Canon user so I can't advise you on the camera but I will say that you would be better off not using auto focus if you can help it. Not that some auto focus doesn't work but you need to have the control over it so it focuses on the thing you want in focus, especially when going for a shallow depth of field. It will also prevent that awful focus searching that is so often seen in videos.

    I've found that Philip Bloom gives good advice about the Canon range of cameras and lens.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    You have an excellent camera and lenses

    plan on using your tripod

    you need an NLE more than you need a new camera and you will need a proper PC to run it on

    your main choices are Vegas, premiere and final cut (the rest are "pants")

    if I started over I'd get a Mac and use final cut but each of us is already on a path

    i haven't used Vegas but I understand it has the best value for the money

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    You have an excellent camera and lenses

    plan on using your tripod

    you need an NLE more than you need a new camera and you will need a proper PC to run it on

    your main choices are Vegas, premiere and final cut (the rest are "pants")

    if I started over I'd get a Mac and use final cut but each of us is already on a path

    i haven't used Vegas but I understand it has the best value for the money
    What do you mean by NLE?
    I do have a super fast PC (Dell XPS 8700 desktop with 256 GB SSD, Intel Cor I7 4770 and a Video Card) and Adobe Premiere Pro CC so i am set as far as editing gear goes. Have to learn premiere pro 1st though haha)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,459

    Default

    Sorry non linear editor - and you clearly have it so you are all set - I found the adobe tutorials invaluable so you should give yourself a week to go through them

  6. #6

    Default

    I've had a 70D for a few weeks now and still getting to grips with both the new filming style and editing formats.
    I chose the 70D cause I needed a replacement stills cam and as a foray into dslr HD filming.
    The lenses I have are all f2.8 17-55mm and 70-200 both IS and my main concern was the focus hunting or manual focus twitching the cam.
    All the reviews I read gave a very positive thumbs up on the effectiveness of the auto focus on this cam and up to press it locks on solid and tracks exactly where it should, so for me, its a perfect cam. So much to learn yet, but picture and video are great!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

    Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I've had a 70D for a few weeks now and still getting to grips with both the new filming style and editing formats.
    I chose the 70D cause I needed a replacement stills cam and as a foray into dslr HD filming.
    The lenses I have are all f2.8 17-55mm and 70-200 both IS and my main concern was the focus hunting or manual focus twitching the cam.
    All the reviews I read gave a very positive thumbs up on the effectiveness of the auto focus on this cam and up to press it locks on solid and tracks exactly where it should, so for me, its a perfect cam. So much to learn yet, but picture and video are great!
    Does 70D track a moving object automatically keeping it in focus?
    Also 1 general question, would you guys recommend installing Magic Lantern in DSLR for videography?
    Also, is there a difference between "dynamic IS" of 18-135 STM lens and regular IS of all other lenses in terms of video shake?
    Last edited by Van Gogh; 01-05-2014 at 12:06 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Hi - I can't advise on Canon, but I worry that you're concerned with the gear and not the subjects . . . I would suggest you spend nothing - & get out (when the weather improves!!!) and get used to the many features the camera has . . . then you may find the limitations that DSLRs impose.

    Despite the DSLR "Filmic-Look" and other such talk, Camcorders are far easier to use. In particular the audio side and the ability to follow the action.


    When you've flushed out the snags; you can buy a DSLR upgrade, or possibly a Camcorder, - so you have the best of Both.

    Good luck.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 01-05-2014 at 01:17 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Hi - I can't advise on Canon, but I worry that you're concerned with the gear and not the subjects . . . I would suggest you spend nothing - & get out (when the weather improves!!!) and get used to the many features the camera has . . . then you may find the limitations that DSLRs impose.

    Despite the DSLR "Filmic-Look" and other such talk, Camcorders are far easier to use. In particular the audio side and the ability to follow the action.


    When you've flushed out the snags; you can buy a DSLR upgrade, or possibly a Camcorder, - so you have the best of Both.

    Good luck.
    Haha good observation lol.
    I am indeed like that, I just keep on learning and learning basically with zero practice and only start shooting once I have a ton of theoretical knowledge.
    Not the best way to go i am sure ...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Gogh View Post
    Does 70D track a moving object automatically keeping it in focus?
    Also 1 general question, would you guys recommend installing Magic Lantern in DSLR for videography?
    Also, is there a difference between "dynamic IS" of 18-135 STM lens and regular IS of all other lenses in terms of video shake?
    Can't answer all of your questions, but the auto tracking works great. Far better than many camcoders I've owned. You can lock onto any particular point and wether moving away or panning side to side it stays locked on. Very clever stuff!

    Having video cams with broadcast lenses on, I've always worked on manual focus, but the benefits of the 70D is that with a varied range excellent lenses and auto focus, it does add to the creativity that can be achieved over fixed lens video cameras.
    I know the audio side needs extra help so I'm aiming for a Zoom H4 to make use of the XLR mics I already use.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

    Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 03:22 PM
  2. Two questions about Canon HF200?
    By Nikosony in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2010, 12:42 PM
  3. Canon XM2 Camcorder questions (a few issues)
    By gekko44 in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
  4. Canon XH-A1 Questions?
    By handydreams in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 06:44 AM
  5. Canon ZR800 questions
    By dandeco in forum Technology advice and tips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •