Thread: Best way to upload/edit VHS tapes / videos from them

Default Best way to upload/edit VHS tapes / videos from them

Basically I have a bunch of these videos on VHS tapes that I want to convert / use, to a diff format / cd/dvd/whatever. Now obviously they were recorded a while back and are not the best quality so I am looking for the best way to do so and keep the best quality or edit them to the best quality. Also when converting them and playing them on a tv they seem to lose some quality so I'd like to find a way to fix that as well.. Any tips or advice to keeping/getting the best quality out of VHS recorded videos would be awesome and any tips for converting them as well.

Also, I have wondered if it makes a difference if you convert a VHS onto a dvd/cd before editing if it makes a difference.

The current program I am using/use is Cyberlink power director.

anyone that can help? lol

Impatient you are

My experience is that you will never get superb quality from VHS. The most important thing you would need for conversion is a(n expensive) high quality playback device. My suggestion would be to give the tapes to a professional service.

This thread reminded me that a while ago i was given a "Kworld" usb converter and software to do the very thing you ask. i never got around to using it but if i can find our Video player ill have a go at converting some tapes and post the results.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    This thread reminded me that a while ago i was given a "Kworld" usb converter and software to do the very thing you ask. i never got around to using it but if i can find our Video player ill have a go at converting some tapes and post the results.
    thanks.. That would be great if you don't mind.. Ray I wasn't really being impatient, I posted a response in case this thread got pushed down, because I wasn't sure if anyone had seen it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    I have a JVC S-VHS/DV machine that connects to the computer with firewire, and it's excellent at getting the best out of VHS material. They come up from time to time on ebay?
    yeah.. I think my dad has one of those.. not sure but I'll have to ask, was just trying to figure out if there was a better way to get good quality out of some older tapes

If you might want to record TV programmes when you're doing something else, then a DVD-HDD recorder is a good deal as it should take the VHS mc "SCART" and digitise it. (Check first). Then you can burn a DVD and put that into yr PC for editing.

My own Sony DVD-Recorder permits some editing, and if you have the time you can pause as the original material is playing - useful to remove those odd bits of other programmes that sometime appear on our VHS-tapes. However, the best Editing will be afterwards, when you've had a chance to see the digital version.