Thread: Software for overlaying changing text such as time codes

Default Software for overlaying changing text such as time codes

Hi

I'm sure there is probably a feature in the higher end editing packages to achieve this but over the years I've had several instances where I'd like to have changing text overlaid onto a video segment. A classic example and one that I need to do for my next music video project is some "mocked up" CCTV footage where I'd like a time-code overlaid onto the video.
    In the past I've done this the tedius way of adding multiple text elements or frames and then manually edited each one, but that becomes a real pain if I decide I need to move the text etc.
    So what I'm writing just now (I'm a software developer) is a small program to create a sequence of png files (with transparency) where on each png text is added based on the contents of one or more text files. That way I can run the routine create a stack of files then add them to a track in my editing software (pinnacle 16), I can determine the duration of each image inside of pinnacle and even add transitions etc if required, so I figured it should meet my needs.

The reason I thought I'd post about it here is just in case anyone else had similar issues and any ideas on things I need to allow for (I'm already thinking of adding a code to the text file to allow the text colour to change.)
    If it's of any use to anyone then feel free to PM me and once it's done I'll let you have a copy (no charge).

Happy new year

Dave

I use Premiere, where I find it's titleing system is very adequate. But, I have needed to generate PNGs for inclusion in my humble animations.
    Whilst it is straightforward to create PNGS (I use vb.net) from a text datafile, you may find there are more than just 'text' and 'colour' which require suitable fields. Background/foreground colour, font size/type, transparency, size etc etc.