Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about specific sound effect on unboxing video

Default Question about specific sound effect on unboxing video

I made an unboxing video of an Amazon Kindle. For those not familiar with the term "unboxing video" in the Youtube world this is a video of getting a product out of a packaging with optionally a short first review.

In this one I added the sound of a jarring door when opening the box at 00:28. Do you find this funny or stupid? I know that the visuals don't fit the sound too well and the video has some other major flaws like e.g. lighting (I ordered my first camera light right after I finished this video). This is caused by holiday stress but if you want to drop any more comments feel free to do so. I appreciate any feedback.

I just found it unnecessary.

I found it unnecessary as well, but it was a good video. The only thing I found rather distracting was the glare on the Kindle screen itself. I really like the "Time Warp" effect.

Hmm I got some positive feedback for the sound effect from others. I will have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    did I learn anything about Kindles? No.
    Well you learn how it is packaged (although you are not interested in it), that it has buttons (instead of a touchscreen), how the display is, that it' compatible with Linux, ... Maybe I have to make such things stick out more.

Thanks for the feedback. It gave me a lot to think about.

Blog Entries

My thought is that the unboxing vid is really an appeal to the excitement of opening a new toy. Specifically its appeal is to people who desire the device but don't (yet) own one. It might also appeal to those who want to check they received everything they should have, or whether they missed something.
    Unboxing videos are clearly very popular (possibly moreso with the makers than the viewers) so I don't think they're goig to go away because you or I don't really see the point.
    On the other hand, they do provide a very simple method for a video maker to practice some basic skills in composition, lighting, scriptwriting, sound.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    On the other hand, they do provide a very simple method for a video maker to practice some basic skills in composition, lighting, scriptwriting, sound.
    I think that's another reason for doing them. My first video of this kind was terrible but received a reasonable amount of views. So apparently there is an audience for such videos. I did this one to attract some (new) audience to my channel and because I needed something which could be done quickly due to lack of time for video stuff during the holidays.

I totally agree and prefer thorough reviews over pure unboxing videos myself. It was a choice of doing at least something (to get practice) or doing nothing (and get stuck).

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    ... with no evidence whatsoever of any planning apart from sticking a camera vaguely pointing in the right direction. How many consider lighting (as in we can't see into the box) or worse, sound - so we can't hear the person doing the unboxing. ... So many don't even have any editing at all - 20 minutes of opening a box and removing the packing, ending in a wide shot of a small black item in their hand!
    So true but I hope I did at least a bit better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast