Thread: Stick or Twist?

1. Default Stick or Twist?

My question to you all is...when you are an amateur learning the tricks of the trade of video filming and all the stuff that goes with it, is it better to concentrate on one specific genre of film and refine your skills to that? Or is it okay to branch out and try different things each time?

For example, suppose you make a short music video, is it better to do another and another etc etc until you have the knack, then move onto something like a documentary? Or is the diversity of doing a music video and then following that with a short fiction film and then perhaps trying your hand in something else so that you get a variety of techniques to learn?

Personally I love to try my hand at all types of genres, but fear that this may not be the best way forward.

Blog Entries

I suspect it rather depends on what you want out of it. I do it as a hobby so I have the luxury of being able to try loads of different things. When I finish one project, the last thing I want to do is another in the same vein. However, If I specifically wanted to learn, say, wedding videography, I'd concentrate on those. A wide range of different sytles can only help you increase your skill level over all. Even straighforward event recording can benefit from ideas picked up making dramas or music vids.
    Tim