Thread: Thrillseeker : Interview

1. Default Thrillseeker : Interview

Hi all, pretty simple affair which I recorded earlier this year and edited over the last couple of days. Wanted it to be a more gritty, narrated video but I had a serious lack of footage of his antics in the park, so re-thought it and emphasised the interview instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUfyEUT9cd4

Thanks for watching.

Blog Entries

Sorry Sean, that was a fail for me.

When I saw what the film was about, I thought "Great! Some nutter who loves rollercoasters. This should be interesting". Unfortunately it failed to capture any of the excitement of the rides or, really, Simon's enthusiasm.

Let' start with the positives: I liked the titles, i likes the music, I quite liked the "questions" posed in text only and the style of them. The recorded sound (absolutely crucial) was good and clear.

But, I'm afraid there's a bit of a list of flaws in my opinion.

1. Whilst I guess the idea was to build a narrative by starting with how Simon travels to his rides, this is probably the least interesting aspect of the experience - certainly of the interview. A (retired) journalist friend of mine has said to me on many occasion, that a documentary, unlike a fiction, should begin with the headline grabbing news, then go back and give the detail afterwards. I think this is good advice.

2. You were clearly able to "stage" the interview, so why not arrange it so the lighting was better. Here we had harsh light on the left hand side of his face contrasting with poorly lit left/centre.

3. You could have got away with the above if you'd shown even stills of the rides he was talking about. I appreciate you may not be able to go to all these places, but does he not have shots you could use? You can't really use copyright images without permission, but I bet loads of people have posted video and stills of these rides on YouTube and some will be only tioo happy for you to incorporate their work. Imagine David Attenborough describing the mammals he saw in Borneo without any images. It just doesn't work.

4. In a similar vein, Simon talks in jargon from time to time. A "Boomerang Coaster" means nothing to me. Ask him. Get the explanation. Show one.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I was looking forward to this (as someone who only feels sick on such rides and also cannot see the point in them - if they're dangerous, then it's silly to go on them: if they're safe then where's the excitement) and I was interested in what the real enthusiasts got out of it. Unfortunately the film didn't give me this.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks for your comments Tim.

I had best sort out some confusion...Mark is the guy being interviewed. Simon is the marketing guy at Lightwater Valley who sorted out our interview and gave us permission to film around the park.

1. I guess I just followed the course of the interview. So, I should have picked out the attention grabbing questions first and then filter out the rest?

2. My bad...just didn't realise on the day that lighting would be an issue.

3. In my defence, I did consider going with overlaid footage and stills, but I feared that it would turn into a hotch potch montage and felt the best way would be to just break up the interview with other footage.

4. Yes, I'm afraid I didn't take this into consideration.

Dam, just when I think I made a simple but effective film [slaps head]

Blog Entries

Sorry about getting the names wromg and thanks for clearing that up.
    1. Not filter out the rest, but get the answer which shows his excitement best in at the start. This will be your best chance of getting the viewer wanting to see inside the mind of him, see what drives him. Filter out anything which doesn't add to the picture you build. Most of what you had actually did add to our understanding of his character so not a lot to filter out.
    2. We've all been there 9and I know I will repeat the same mistake time and again.
    3. True - That is also a danger. I guess you'll just have to travel the world with him
    4. We live and learn.

It would have been worse if you had NOT made the film as you'd have to learn the lessons on your next project.
    Tim

5. Default

Tim, could something like this work to explain certain keywords. Obviously I wouldn't go overboard with it, using every two minutes but just enough to add something to explain keywords. Or do you think it's a little too much/in yer face so to speak?

http://youtu.be/0uQ96XmWlVM

Blog Entries

I think that could work very well. Ideally it would be immediately before showing an example, but I realise that's not possible.
    Also remember to leave the text on the screen for as long as it would take you to read it out loud (and then some)
    Tim