Thread: Using Chroma Keyer on Vegas 9

Default Using Chroma Keyer on Vegas 9

Hi guy, trying to use chroma keyer function on Sony Vegas 9 to try and give the afect of santa sleigh moving across a local landmark.
    I got a free vid off youtube but for some reason when I put it on vegas and use it there is still half the screen in blue as you can see in the image I include.

Anybody got any ideas on the problem??? Thanks
    Blue green screen.JPG

I have tried 3 different greenscreens of youtube now and have same problem with the 3.

This is one of them or example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzjR9ouHI-U

I honestly can't imagine what combination of erroneous settings led to the situation you found yourself in - unless you simply imported a 720p green screen clip on top of a 1080p landmark clip

the best bet is to delete your project and start from scratch

put the landmark on the bottom track

put the green screen clip on the top track and place Santa where you want him (move and scale) - don't fret over the fact that the green doesn't fill the screen

then do whatever you do in Vegas to make the green go away
    Last edited by zamiotana; 12-30-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Thanks for getting back to me. What you described is what I have already done unfortunately.
    Still scratching my head.

Then I imagine that the filter isn't catching the blue - you should be able to fiddle with the filter so the whole top clip goes away - then you can dial it back to reveal Santa

or you have applied the filter to the wrong track
    Last edited by zamiotana; 12-30-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting the screen grab - it shows immediately what is wrong: you have the "bypass FX" button (to the left of where it says "Draft (full)" at the top of the preview window) depressed and this is no doubt set to bypass the right hand side.
    This is a useful tool so you can compare before/after FX.
    Just click it off.
    Tim

Tim is spot on. It's unfortunate you have the RIGHT side Bypassed as if it were the LEFT side it would have been even more obvious. And presently you have selected a BLUE. Why not the GREEN that is part of of that YT download? How come you've got BLUE? Anyway, I've downloaded, needed to convert to a Vegas Media Complaint import option and it is working - GREEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Tim is spot on. It's unfortunate you have the RIGHT side Bypassed as if it were the LEFT side it would have been even more obvious. And presently you have selected a BLUE. Why not the GREEN that is part of of that YT download?

since my suggestion was to delete his project and start from scratch, it would appear that his Vegas software comes up with the right side bypassed by default on startup (or he would not have found himself in the same predicament after following my instructions)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    since my suggestion was to delete his project and start from scratch, it would appear that his Vegas software comes up with the right side bypassed by default on startup (or he would not have found himself in the same predicament after following my instructions)
    Not at all. The status of the Split Screen View (which is where this bypass button resides) is a workspace setting. This is not saved with the project, rather it's a "global" setting which is retained when you switch between projects. This does not affect the rendered output - it only affects the preview window.

The status of individual effects or groups of effects applied to events, media, tracks or the whole project, on the other hand are retained (as you might expect)
    Tim

My bad - i had assumed it was part of the project settings