Thread: dowloading Panasonic video to MS11

1. Default dowloading Panasonic video to MS11

Hi everybody its time to talk to the experts again. I have a Pana TM900 camera and at the moment I have to download full HD to HD writer before editing in Vegas Movie studio 11. Is it possible to import directly to MS? I seem to be able to download it but can't save it. Many thanks ....Roy

Blog Entries

I'm not really sure what your problem is here - what you mean when you say you can't "save" it.
    If the footage is on the card (which it is) you will need o copy it to your hard disk. You can do this with AE Writer or with Windows explorer (by copying the files).

"Importing" into Vegas, in common with other editing programs (NLE's) doesn't actually move any data (video) around. It simply creates a pointer in your project file to the source data.

So, if you film onto an SD card, put that SD card into your PC, import that into Vegas, then remove the card, it is no longer available to Vegas.

So, to reiterate, you need to copy the footage to your hard drive, before importing. And until you have completed your film and rendered a final master version, you must not delete the footage from your hard drive.

Incidentally, the reason you might use AE Writer to copy the footage to your Hard Drier is because of a limitation of the FAT32 filing system used on SD cards. This limits you to 4GB files. This is not often a problem but if you are recording events (eg stage shows) that last more than 20mins or so, it may split the footage acrss one or more files. AE Writer "knows" when this happens and will creat one 1hr video fuile rather than (say) three or four shorter ones.
    Tim

3. Default

Thanks very much Tim for that excellent explanation. You have solved my problem and put me on the right track. I had saved the files using HD writer but couldn't then seem to access the files for Movie studio. I have now copied to hard drive using windows explorer and all is is well. Thanks again...Roy

Blog Entries

Glad to assist.
    Tim