Thread: A couple of little questions

Default A couple of little questions

Hi,

I am currently saving up to get a new PC and this morning I just remebered about Shuttles. I've always really liked the look of Shuttle PCs but I never really took them seriously because to me, small isn't powerful. This morning though, i went on their website and found that many of their barebones systems have powerful potential, more than most full size systems . I was just wondering whether any of these: (click) would be any good for video editing/compositing.

Secondly, although there has probably been some discussion about this before that i've missed, does anyone know whether dual core CPUs have a distinct adavntage of single core CPUs with HT? If I do get a shuttle system, it may be a dual core capable system, so i was wondering whether it would be worth spending the extra 30 on getting a dual core processor.

Cheers.
    http://www.studioxpro.com

:.: StudioX Productions :.:
    Dedicated to low-budget film-making

Default shuttles

Strictly speaking these system are not designed to do High end graphics or video. However a relatively powerful one should do the job. It comes down to 2 things. If it has lots of processing power and lots of ram it will do it. I would avoid it personally as you could build/buy something that is not in min form factor for less money.

The shuttle systems can be powerful, but they're not very upgradeable. For video editing, ideally you want 2 hard drives in there. Even if you can fit a 2nd hard drive in, I wouldn't fancy a hot CPU and 2 hard drives in there.

I've got a SFF PC at work (based on the Antec Aria case). It looks nice, but the novelty wears off after a while

Blog Entries

Agreed. My Mega180 just sits on my desk and looks pretty.