Thread: Edit advice please?

Default Edit advice please?

Totally new to dslr file editing and would appreciate some advice please.
    I have downloaded Vegas movie studio 11 HD, which appears to run the few clips I have filmed fine. A totally new layout to me, but I'm slowly getting to grips with it.
    Just wondering, because of the (too) many options I have, if I'm starting off from the right point ok. The filming options I have on the 70D are 1920x1080 IPB or ALL-I high and low compression, or 1280 x720 with same compression options.
    Bearing in mind the final output will be either DVD or web based clips which would be my best filming option?

In the edit I have the option to 'match media settings', which are listed as SONY AVC type (.MOV) is this the best option for me as I presume starting off large I can then compress for the best suited destination?

All tips gratefully received
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I usually film 1080p at 25 fps unless I'm filming fast moving objects or I know I'll be slowing the footage down, I would then shoot at 720p 50 fps. Then in Vegas match the media settings to your footage. If mixed footage on the time line I would set project properties to match the highest resolution footage.

If the final delivery is a DVD I then compress to a DVD format for the final render but for the web (usually YouTube) I render at 1080p.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks MB - Do the different compression methods (IPB/ALL-I) make a massive difference in the look?
    Once I know the rules for the basics I can eventually start getting creative again.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Zero,
    not "edit advice", but in case you are testing the Movie Studio 11 basic version, I suggest you get the 11 Platinum (32-bit) or 12 Platinum (32-bit and 64-bit). With them you get authoring software and burning options. They are probably even cheaper, if you look around.
    Last edited by vkmast; 12-27-2013 at 11:03 AM.

I use Nikon DSLRs so I don't have these options. I think this is one of those pixel peeping questions. ALL-I is, on paper the better option but IPB will give you just as good results. The Canon community is split over this issue.

Take a look at THIS ARTICLE from Canon about these options it seems to go deep into the alchemy of codec options.

The best advice I can give you is shoot some test footage using both methods and if you can't tell the difference then that's your answer.

Cheers MB - I'll take a look at the other forums too. I've browsed before, but seemed to spend more time searching than finding the basic answers I need.
    vkmast - Using trial of MS11 purely for XP PC purposes. I don't intend producing that many videos on it, just need basic edits for DVD and web and MS11 seems to fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Zero,
    not "edit advice", but in case you are testing the Movie Studio 11 basic version, I suggest you get the 11 Platinum (32-bit) or 12 Platinum (32-bit and 64-bit). With them you get authoring software and burning options. They are probably even cheaper, if you look around.

The 'match media settings, only sets the actual project settings so that the clip will play without to much lag
    you can decide the actual format when you render. you can also set the settings manual, (ALT+ENTER)

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Do the different compression methods (IPB/ALL-I) make a massive difference in the look? .
    Yes, they do make a difference, how much of a difference it makes is subjective. You only notice the difference sadly when playing back the footage. For one thing your bit-rate per second will most likely be higher.

Had a read up on the Canon spec which suggests best is IPB as it compresses each frame. Easier to edit when frame by frame is available.
    Onwards and upwards