Thread: Latest Live Performance Video

Default Latest Live Performance Video

We recently filmed a cancer benefit at The Machine Shop in Flint, MI. for a 6-year old girl named Abbey. We used 2 Canon 650D's for the close to the stage cams, and 2 Nikon AW100's for the full and drum shots. We plan on hopefully upgrading the Nikons to Canons this year.

I think you did a reasonable job with this. Nothing really stood out as a big error. The majority of the shots were in focus and well framed. The cutting wasn't too frantic which I think was fitting. It was more live a live performance TV mix.

Well done.

Thank you for the response MB. I am finally starting to feel comfortable with my live editing. The live performance vids we do definitely have that "live TV" feel you mention, but really, I'm not sure how I could make it not that way. I man the more active 650D cam, while my girlfriend operates the other and the 2 Nikons on tripods (and a Zoom Q3HD to capture audio). I am pretty quick with focusing, but my gf is still getting used to it, so most the times she uses a fluid tripod (not at this show though). What would you suggest to change up our style?

I can see your point paul. I suppose we could dial back (or forward? f-stops always confuse me) the aperture to make everything more in focus, but I believe I effectively use it to focus on the spotlight moments pretty well. I am definitely open to using that style if the client wants it. As for the face light, we do have a 3 point lighting kit we could use (or parts of) if really needed, but it's really not practical to use at most of the shows we film, as a lot of times the crowd can get pretty rambunctious to the heavy music (unlike the majority of this show). I'm worried enough as it is right now about some knocking over the tripod with the full stage shot. Our live performance vids are not meant to be like official music videos using studio tracks, they are supposed to capture the live experience of being at the actual show, and I think we are starting to finally do that pretty well.

Do you have any examples of the types of live performance vids you speak of? I am always looking for other videos of that type to check out.

I thought the filming was fine but there was an obvious grounding problem with the audio - was it already there or did you introduce it?

No that buzzing at the beginning was the guitar players rig.

Thank you for the descriptive info. Yeah I doubt I could stop down too much without having to raise the ISO.