Thread: m2ts to iso

1. Default m2ts to iso

I have a problem that is baffling me! I use Cyberlink PowerDirector 11 and have produced a video file/folder in m2ts format. I have successfully burned this to a DVD that plays on my DVD/TV player. It consists of 2 files/folders Video_TS and Audio_TS.

Now I want to protect it with anti-rip made by Fortium (Patronus). But this demands that the folder is converted to .iso format.

I purchased Aiseesoft m2ts converter software. But nowhere on the output options can I find .iso listed, and nobody seems able to tell me how to make the conversion. I can use the Aiseesoft to generate an .m4v file and a host of others . . . . but not an .iso file

Please can someone help (preferably in idiot-proof language)

2. Default

Does this mean that I have to first burn a disk and then use the disk to generate an .iso file?

3. Default

Thanks for this. I'll try and obtain a disk image creator.

4. Default

My big thanks to bigmanjoe. After several days of blood, sweat and sleepless nights trying to discover how to generate an .iso file from my m2ts, I have downloaded a disc image creator called Aimersoft DVD Creator, which has that magical little tick box that says 'Save an .iso file' !!!

My problem is resolved, and a lovely .iso file is sitting on my hard drive. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

5. Default

Sadly I am still stumped.

The software will not render a high definition package as an ISO file, only bog-standard DVD. I have a video in AVCHD high definition, and it has been produced by Powerdirector 11 into M2TS container file format. When I burn this via the Powerdirector 11 burning facility it clearly retains the AVCHD quality. No problem there.

In order to protect my video with Anti-rip software, it is mandatory that I deliver it to the Fortium anti-rip programme as an ISO file. So the unanswered question is whether there is any means on the market (surely there is?) that will allow me to package, as an ISO file, my high definition AVCHD/M2TS packaged video, or am I going about things in the wrong way? As indicated above I purchased a disk burning software that generates an ISO file, but doesn't retain the AVCHD quality.

The encryption/decryption process used by Fortium Patronus is not a problem because they also provide the burning software. The problem is how to get the AVCHD.M2TS available to their software as an ISO file.

My knowledge of AV conversion processes is still in its infancy, which is why I need to some straightforward practical advice from you guys! Trying to make contact with Internet software conversion firms is generally blocked or 'no longer available'.

Blog Entries

Michael,

An ISO image is simply an image of whatever is on a DVD.
    It seems to me that this program you have created is making assumptions on your behalf about what you are trying to create.
    I suggest you try the following.
    1. Create a DVD of the quality you want.
    2. Use any software (eg Alex Fienman's excellent free ISO Recorder - http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm) to create an ISO image from that DVD.
    3. Feed that into Patronus

I don't believe that your method in your first post produces HD as the standard for DVD is Standard Definition***. It is possible to add extra material as DATA files to your DVD (in a folder called "EXTRAS", I believe), but it's rather down to the player as to whether it would be able to play that file.

*** I'm happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong.

If this is the case, then it is simply the case that PowerDirector is doing a better job than Aimersoft.

Whether or not I am right, using my proposed solution - creating an ISO from a DVD with which you are happy - will work.
    Tim

7. Default m2ts to iso

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Michael,

An ISO image is simply an image of whatever is on a DVD.
    It seems to me that this program you have created is making assumptions on your behalf about what you are trying to create.
    I suggest you try the following.
    1. Create a DVD of the quality you want.
    2. Use any software (eg Alex Fienman's excellent free ISO Recorder - http://alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm) to create an ISO image from that DVD.
    3. Feed that into Patronus

I don't believe that your method in your first post produces HD as the standard for DVD is Standard Definition***. It is possible to add extra material as DATA files to your DVD (in a folder called "EXTRAS", I believe), but it's rather down to the player as to whether it would be able to play that file.

*** I'm happy to be corrected on this if I am wrong.

If this is the case, then it is simply the case that PowerDirector is doing a better job than Aimersoft.

Whether or not I am right, using my proposed solution - creating an ISO from a DVD with which you are happy - will work.

Thanks Tim. I will try your recommendation. I have a DVD via PowerDirector that has retained the HD quality, so here goes!

You are right Tim. A DVD is a standard definition format. If you want to keep the High definition resolution you have to make a Bluray disk using the appropriate software and a Bluray disk burner.

You may need to contact Patronus to see if your version will even handle HD material and how to go about producing what you want with it.

I have heard that Patronus is ok for protecting a DVD from a casual disk copier but it is not un-hackable. This is a quote from their website.
    "Blu-Lock works as an effective ‘speed bump’ against unauthorised casual copying. Menus, special features, extra content BD-25 and dual layer BD-50 can all be protected by Blu-Lock."

I hope this info is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
    I have successfully burned this to a DVD that plays on my DVD/TV player. It consists of 2 files/folders Video_TS and Audio_TS.
    I agree with Tim (and MB), I cannot imagine how this could "retain the AVCHD quality". The so-called AVCHD disc (on DVD) won't play on a DVD player.
    OTOH, if CL PD11 did make the AVCHD disc for you, try this. Insert the disc in your drive and see if the free ImgBurn (I use v. 2.5.7) recognizes your disc (Read mode, File sys UDF 2.50, Destination x:\x.iso.)
    I use DVDFab Virtual Drive and PowerDVD 10 to play, there are others.
    Last edited by vkmast; 12-22-2013 at 12:56 PM.

10. Default m2ts to iso

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You are right Tim. A DVD is a standard definition format. If you want to keep the High definition resolution you have to make a Bluray disk using the appropriate software and a Bluray disk burner.

You may need to contact Patronus to see if your version will even handle HD material and how to go about producing what you want with it.

I have heard that Patronus is ok for protecting a DVD from a casual disk copier but it is not un-hackable. This is a quote from their website.
    "Blu-Lock works as an effective ‘speed bump’ against unauthorised casual copying. Menus, special features, extra content BD-25 and dual layer BD-50 can all be protected by Blu-Lock."

I hope this info is helpful.
    Thank you for this Midnight Blue. Yes it is, but I need to clarify remarks that a made earlier. The burn from m2ts that resulted from Cyberlink's burn facility to disk has resulted in a good quality DVD video, to my eyes more or less indistinguishable from the original AVCHD material that came off the camera, I appreciate that it isn't actually HD because I am playing it back on an ordinary DVD player. But it is not obviously degraded either.

The problem for me remains the generation of a .iso file that I need for the Patronus programme whilst retaining the quality. I don't want to distract anyone because of the limitations of Patronus anti-hacking. It will not stop a 'professional' hacker but it will deter the casual person resorting to e.g. Nero to make a home copy.

I simply want to retain the good quality of the original AVCHD/M2TS material sitting on my hard drive when creating an .iso file. This is what I can't discover software to achieve. Maybe such software doesn't exist, but I find that implausible. The software that I had purchased to go from .m2ts to .iso will actually do it, but is unsatisfactory because it delivers a quality appreciably inferior to the original. it is less sharp and with distortion creeping in each time it deals with a camera movement.