Thread: Gotta be in it to win it!

Blog Entries

Default Gotta be in it to win it!

Just saw a Sony Z5E with 10 x 10h drum run and a few bits and bobs go on eBay for 1220.

Does this mean tape & HDV really is dead?

(Incidentally, among the bits and bobs were two UV filters)
    Tim

Blog Entries

For the simplicity of transferring footage provided by SD cards and the like, I wouldn't consider buying tape/HDV.

I don't get it Tim, is 1220 a good price for a used Z5 ? What's more I don't get why you would buy a camera and only use it for 10 hours then sell it. OR is that really what's happened here ?

100 hours still low hours though.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    For the simplicity of transferring footage provided by SD cards and the like, I wouldn't consider buying tape/HDV.
    That's pretty much why I didn't bid (although at that price I wish I had).
    3 x 1/3in CMOS, very good glass, plenty of manual controls. Reasonably rugged. Still available new at around 4,000 (inv VAT). A very good camera for the coroporate/wedding videographer.

Yet it generates little interest because we consider the inconvenience of capturing (even though it gives a perfect opportunity to review footage and a built in archive) greater than the 2000 saving!
    Tim

Surely the point raised is Why sell? I suspect it was bought for a job that's gone flat - so the Camera is being sold for the best price - it might even be a probate-sale.

Technically I understand it was the Z7 that offered card recording, so anyone bidding might stump up the extra and go solid-state, with the increased battery-life....and hopefully longer-life.

Yet the new Sony 4K (which also records 1920 to SDHC cards ), is about the same price quoted in Post#5 and offers much improved video quality through a better lens (er, so I read)..... the snag ( and it's a BIG snag IMHO ), is that Sony is forcing users to buy overpriced Sony-Memory to film 4K. Whereas the reality is that 1920 is almost 2K, so 4K is only double the data ( -or is that x4, someone? ). Which JVC has shown can be put 4K onto SDHC cards by running them in parallel....(as it were)....and JVC has been into 4K for about 2-years.
    The new Sony camcorder is a break-through in price as it is offering a compact camcorder 20x zoom (+ usual Manuals), at about half the price Buyers might expect..... but maybe they think we'll buy lots of Sony-Memory as well.

Why the attractive price?
    Well, I think BlackMagic has started to ship 4K versions and that looks like a good deal for anyone with Canon-lenses, or who fancies having shallow DoF from dedicated manual lenses - since the BlackMagic has huge exposure-range any errors are likely to be fixable in Post. - and using SSD memory means you get a decent run for your money. So Sony needs to compete.... on price.
    Can anyone confirm that 32G will provide only 1/2 hr filming at 4K...?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 12-19-2013 at 03:40 AM.