Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Latest music video with a Christmas feel

  1. #1

    Default Latest music video with a Christmas feel

    Hi

    for those that haven't seen our previous videos we're a small music band that record our own music and shoot our own videos.
    This is the first video of a cover song that we've done and because it's for Christmas we put ourselves on a very tight timescale, just one week to learn the song, record and mix the music and shoot and edit the video.
    It was supposed to be a really simple video but that never happens with us so it turned out to involve a lot of green screening, 3D animation and other effects. It's far from perfect but it is hope fun and should put a smile on your face.
    Merry Christmas !!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    A lot of work clearly went into it. I loved the ideas.
    My biggest gripe was the singer looked erm ... almost unhappy ... which rather spoiled the fun feel of the video.

    One thing that struck me was the number of shots that were similar to those in my family's take on it a few years ago (looking down the neck of the bass guitar, the foot on the kick drum, singer in cans singing into mic), but then again, I guess when you film bands playing there are "standard" shots one tends to include (the same as with steam engine films and car films). If you're interested, mine is in this thread. No greenscreen and while my family all sang we used a Karaoke backing, and it was filmed/edited over several weeks (and locations) so not quite as impressive as yours.

    Anyway I enjoyed it and thought it was very impressive for getting it alldone within a week. Just wish the siger looked happier
    Tim

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    A lot of work clearly went into it. I loved the ideas.
    My biggest gripe was the singer looked erm ... almost unhappy ... which rather spoiled the fun feel of the video.

    One thing that struck me was the number of shots that were similar to those in my family's take on it a few years ago (looking down the neck of the bass guitar, the foot on the kick drum, singer in cans singing into mic), but then again, I guess when you film bands playing there are "standard" shots one tends to include (the same as with steam engine films and car films). If you're interested, mine is in this thread. No greenscreen and while my family all sang we used a Karaoke backing, and it was filmed/edited over several weeks (and locations) so not quite as impressive as yours.

    Anyway I enjoyed it and thought it was very impressive for getting it alldone within a week. Just wish the siger looked happier
    Hi Tim

    I don't know, after all the complaining last time about not showing the singer's face!!!! (only joking)
    To be fair we were so short of time as the singer's video was shot just before she had to leave and we wouldn't see her again until after christmas, I think she was probably concentrating on getting the words right and it was at the end of a stressful recording session. Also whilst she is a very funny girl she does tend to be a bit more "wry" as opposed to bubbly.

    Just checked out your video which was great, I really like the little girl waking up and shouting "It's christmas" at the end. Nice touch. (I haven't posted on that thread since I figured it would be closed by now.)

    As you say there do tend to only be so many ways to video band members, down the neck of the guitar etc. Despite the short time frame I think we actually had more different shots of each member than we usually have which I hope added to the interest.
    It may be a very bad idea, but I tend to go by the rule of thumb that taking the video length and then dividing it up by the number of shots gives a rough idea of how "non-draggy" the end result will be. Of course it helps if the shots are interesting.
    Glad you enjoyed it though.
    Dave

  4. #4

    Default

    Nice visual fx and a fun video. Do you have a giant green/blue screen or did you have to film everyone in front of the green screen seperately?

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veriv View Post
    Nice visual fx and a fun video. Do you have a giant green/blue screen or did you have to film everyone in front of the green screen seperately?
    Great question veriv.
    I have three green screens 2 that are a light green, came free with Pinnacle software but are relatively small (about 1.5m square) and a newer one I got from ebay which is much larger but a darker shade of green.
    Because I can't always get the entire background as the green screen I've developed a hybrid approach which is this.-
    1 Video the subject (using a fixed tripod) with any moving parts backed by the green screen.
    2 Load the video into editing software and take a frame snap shot as a jpg.
    3 Load the jpg into photoshop and fill in the non green background with green but on a different layer. (I started using a solid green but subsequently found that using a stamp brush of the videod green screen gives a more constant affect.) This step can also be used to tidy up things like shadows and creases in the backdrop.
    4 Save the photoshop file with the original image turned off to a png with transparency so all you get is the mask.
    5 Add the mask png file to the video as a new track above the original.
    6 Render the combined video + mask to a new video file (I also use this step to synch the start point of the video to a set time point and ditch any leading/trailing junk, but that's just for music videos which are time critical.)
    7 Take the rendered output and use that to apply the chroma key (green screen) affect.

    Personally I usually do step 7 in a separate project and create another output video file which has the desired background effect chromakeyed onto it. So for example I ended up with an mp4 of the bass guitar with a snow background.
    This process may seem long winded and can certainly be made simpler with more attention to lighting and setup (ie remember to iron your green screen if it's a cotton based product.) But it does seem to work reasonably well if like me you have very limited space and lighting equipment. Everything shot here was shot in a 2m x 3m studio or our front room which is about 2m x 5m with just domestic lighting (led).
    I'm thinking of writing this approach up on our band blog with some photos and will post here if I do.

    Hope that was useful, green screening can produce great results but takes some time to start getting right. I'm not sure if I'm there just yet.

    Dave

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MYTOYROCKBAND View Post
    3 Load the jpg into photoshop and fill in the non green background with green but on a different layer. (I started using a solid green but subsequently found that using a stamp brush of the videod green screen gives a more constant affect.) This step can also be used to tidy up things like shadows and creases in the backdrop.
    4 Save the photoshop file with the original image turned off to a png with transparency so all you get is the mask.
    5 Add the mask png file to the video as a new track above the original.
    6 Render the combined video + mask to a new video file (I also use this step to synch the start point of the video to a set time point and ditch any leading/trailing junk, but that's just for music videos which are time critical.)
    7 Take the rendered output and use that to apply the chroma key (green screen) affect.
    Dave, what you have done here is a very long handed way of creating what is known as a "garbage matte". I don't know if you've told us what software you are using, but I'm sure you've got the facility to mask out all the background stuff which is beyond the green screen. It's worth looking into - you'll save a lot of time (= free up more time to be creative). If you post the software you have, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Tim

  7. #7

    Default

    That does seem to be a long way of doing things, although the keying in the end was very good.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,846
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veriv View Post
    although the keying in the end was very good.
    You're not wrong there.
    Tim

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Dave, what you have done here is a very long handed way of creating what is known as a "garbage matte". I don't know if you've told us what software you are using, but I'm sure you've got the facility to mask out all the background stuff which is beyond the green screen. It's worth looking into - you'll save a lot of time (= free up more time to be creative). If you post the software you have, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.
    Hi veriv
    Yes it is quite a bit of work especially with about 15 video takes / tracks to work on.

    Hi Tim
    I'm using Pinnacle studio 16.
    I hadn't heard of the term "garbage matte" before but I've just googled it and according to this review here http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...art-two_Page-2 in the low end (sub 100) editors Adobe Premiere Elements offers it. I certainly haven't seen it anywhere in the package and I think I probably would have by now.
    I've been meaning to take a look at higher end packages like adobe, maybe this is a reason to do so. Thanks for the advice this could prove very useful.

    Having said that whilst long winded the approach I've been using does have the advantage that I probably have a lot more control over the "garbage matte" (I'm going to be using that term all week now ) as I have the full range of Photoshop tools at my disposal. In this case for several of the shots I also had to tidy up other elements like removing stray cables etc.

    Dave

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You're not wrong there.
    Much nicer than the keying in my video that's for damn sure. Mine was very rough around the edges (probably shouldnt have set a green screen up in my garden with only natural light)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My latest music video
    By moonmin troll in forum User Videos
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 12:34 PM
  2. Latest music video.
    By MYTOYROCKBAND in forum User Videos
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
  3. Latest music video
    By MYTOYROCKBAND in forum User Videos
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM
  4. Christmas music video..
    By BigCat in forum User Videos
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-06-2011, 01:15 PM
  5. my latest music video
    By Richiedude in forum User Videos
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •