Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Quirky effects heavy music video

  1. #1

    Default Quirky effects heavy music video

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9F1bw_aGWQ

    Hey, about 6 months ago I shared film on here called 'The Duel' which is a short action/thriller.

    Here's my latest project. It is a slightly quirky music video I made for a local band. Perhaps the idea is better than the execution but I am happy with it. Does anyone have any thoughts on it?

  2. #2

    Default

    I liked it's quirkiness, it has a degree of honesty and integrity, staying true to the band and it's music.

    Well done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    +! Midnight
    The band getting prepared for and arrivng at rehearsal, interspersed with other shots reminded me of the sort of films from the 60s/early 70s for the Monkees or even the Beatles.
    Tim

  4. #4

    Default

    Thanks a lot guys. Should be good for my visual fx showreel. I have a cool idea for the bands next video too

  5. #5

    Default

    I liked that Veriv.

    Nice use of some special FX and you've managed to get it to look simple even though the work required behind it certainly isn't.
    And yes certainly quirky.
    I don't think it's a problem but the only other thing I would say is it seemed to be telling too stories. The song seemed to be about being someone that you could rely on ("your one and only" and "would you remember me"). Whilst the video seemed to be about a singer that's late for rehearsal due to an ever more bizarre set of circumstances.
    I don't think that's a problem, just an interesting take on making it even more quirky. I guess it depends on if the band want something to underline the message in the song.
    Great video though.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MYTOYROCKBAND View Post
    I liked that Veriv.

    Nice use of some special FX and you've managed to get it to look simple even though the work required behind it certainly isn't.
    And yes certainly quirky.
    I don't think it's a problem but the only other thing I would say is it seemed to be telling too stories. The song seemed to be about being someone that you could rely on ("your one and only" and "would you remember me"). Whilst the video seemed to be about a singer that's late for rehearsal due to an ever more bizarre set of circumstances.
    I don't think that's a problem, just an interesting take on making it even more quirky. I guess it depends on if the band want something to underline the message in the song.
    Great video though.

    Thanks pal. I think what inspired the video was the refrains of 'Will you remember me like that?', as in will you remember him as the guy in these potential death situations, rather than remember him as the person he was/is.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veriv View Post
    Thanks pal. I think what inspired the video was the refrains of 'Will you remember me like that?', as in will you remember him as the guy in these potential death situations, rather than remember him as the person he was/is.
    Ok I get the logic now, and that certainly makes sense. The good news is that it still works even if you don't get that underlying reasoning. Which means it's working on two levels.

  8. #8

    Default

    Thanks pal.

    It's also interesting that I think I was inspired by the fact the band don't really get on that well and that has come across as a theme in the video. I came up with the idea for the video without the band's input and it seems to have come from being inspired by the disconnect within the band.

    I realised this after I made the vid and emailed the singer about this.

    He replied: "I think its explicitly about that (the band not getting on).its literally scenes of the band arguing and never all being in the same shot. The shot of us all in quicksand is probably the downfall caused by division rather than the joyous reunion and resolution!"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    10,844
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veriv View Post
    The shot of us all in quicksand is probably the downfall caused by division rather than the joyous reunion and resolution!"
    They are clearly following in a great tradition. We have a future Yes here! (Under 40s, please note that what is now very much a niche market, progressive rock [and not the HM version of it], was once one of the biggest selling album and live concert genres on the planet. That was in the days when it was alright to have an optimistic spiritual outlook on live expressed in music and compositional dexterity and musical virtuosity were recognised as virtues.)
    Tim

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by veriv View Post
    Thanks pal.

    It's also interesting that I think I was inspired by the fact the band don't really get on that well and that has come across as a theme in the video. I came up with the idea for the video without the band's input and it seems to have come from being inspired by the disconnect within the band.

    I realised this after I made the vid and emailed the singer about this.

    He replied: "I think its explicitly about that (the band not getting on).its literally scenes of the band arguing and never all being in the same shot. The shot of us all in quicksand is probably the downfall caused by division rather than the joyous reunion and resolution!"
    This made me laugh out loud. Being the drummer in our band I know exactly what you are talking about.
    I hadn't realised that you had come up with the idea for the video without the band's input, that's really good (from the point of view of your talent) but also kind of strange that the band didn't want to put in any input. Maybe that's indicative of what he singer was saying. Then again with my band I tend to come up with all the video ideas as well so maybe they are only interested in the music side of it.
    Fascinating insights you can get on this forum about the strangest of things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for a post production specialist for a music video/ Adobe After Effects
    By scarlette in forum Adobe Premiere, Premiere Elements, and After Effects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2012, 06:08 PM
  2. An epic After Effects music video
    By mcphisto4 in forum User Videos
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-01-2011, 03:19 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 06:03 PM
  4. Quirky video I helped edit
    By funnybones in forum Just for fun
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 11:06 PM
  5. My Music Video - Heavy Metal
    By Bulldozer in forum YouTube (and others) channel pimpage
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2009, 02:57 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •