Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why use a UV filter

Blog Entries

Default Why use a UV filter

If you've ever wondered whether a UV filter protects your lens, here's the answer

My two year old daughter dropped my camera. UV filter cracked, lens remained intact.

I had a very similar thing happen, except it was my 50 year old wife.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I had a very similar thing happen, except it was my 50 year old wife.
    Your wife cracked?!!
    Tim

Some photographers claim that UV lenses make the image worse and use dedicated neutral filters instead.

Blog Entries

I subscribe to the "can you actually see a difference" school of thought. For my use, a sensibly priced UV filter does the trick of protecting the glass of my vastly more expensive lens glass. No one has ever said, "Marc, I see you used a UV filter on those shots of yours" . As with so much you read on forums, these statements are thrown around as a result of either pseudo science or theoretical gains. I like to keep it simple!

Your wife cracked?!!
    Well she has had to put up with me for 30 years.

I'm with Marc on this school of thought. K.I.S.S.

Blog Entries

Well, you'd certainly see a difference between a UV filter and an ND filter since they are completely different and consequently do two completely different things.

It just shows what rubbish is posted on the internet.

Screw a UV filter to the front of your lens and keep it there... Simples.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Well, you'd certainly see a difference between a UV filter and an ND filter since they are completely different and consequently do two completely different things.
    I don't think anyone mentioned a neutral density filter .. ?
    A neutral filter would be eg: http://www.hoyafilter.com/hoya/produ...lterprotector/
    Last edited by TimStannard; 12-11-2013 at 08:10 PM.
    Tim

Blog Entries

If they mean a protector, then they should call it a protector. A "neutral" is a neutral density filter, ie a neutral grey.

It's a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing. What's happened is that people are buying cheap chinese UV filters from ebay. They cost a fiver and are not optically flat. Many of them don't stop the full range of UV light and some have impurities in the glass which cause flare. Because these people don't understand this they make the false assumption that it the "UV" filter which is causing problems and they write in internet forums about it. Other inexperienced people read this and propagate the rubbish as "fact".

A UV filter from any decent manufacturer will be better than a plain glass "protector" from a cheap supplier.

Other muppets note that movie cameramen always have a filter in their matte box. If it's not an effects or correction filter it will be an "optical flat" which is basically plain glass. Because they've read a 14 year old (posting as "HollywoodDoP") on some forum or other, they assume that this is more "evidence" that pros don't use UV filters. A case of 1 + 1 = 3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    If they mean a protector, then they should call it a protector. A "neutral" is a neutral density filter, ie a neutral grey.
    I suspect Ray was speaking as I took it, in laymen's terms. Dangerous indeed. ("Neutral" - having no effect; filter - [incorrectly, as you point out] thing you stick in front of the lens)

Do people really abbreviate Neutral Density filter to "Neutral Filter"? "Neutral", I can understand, or "ND Filter", or even "ND".

Your point about crap filters and the false assumptions is well taken. I fail to understand why people will buy even a 200 camera then stick a 5 piece of "glass" between the first and second most important components in the chain (the subject and the lens)
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast