Thread: Fitness video shoot, on set music bleed question!

1. Default Fitness video shoot, on set music bleed question!

Hi all,

My partner and myself have been asked to shoot a fitness video. I'm no stranger to keeping fit so I know what goes into it but the sound is one area which I might need some advice on, particularly the music.

These kind of fitness videos are always set to music to keep time when exercising but I'm wondering how to effectively go about playing music on the 'set' so everyone can hear it and keep time then overdubbing the actual music track later without getting any bleed from the on set music.

I considered playing just a click track but it presents the same problem. I know in fitness videos like 'Insanity' the instructor uses a headset mic to talk which would reduce on set noises but I only have a shotgun and boom. I've seen plenty of fitness videos where the instructor isn't wearing any kind of mic and his voice is clear enough from using a boom and shotgun and the music is crisp but how would I go about using one without picking up the background music, or would it just blend in ok with the overdub if the position was monitored and the on set music was away from the mic.

Thanks everyone!

It depend on the volume of the music and mic proximity. I a location with hard walls the sound will bounce around a lot which may cause issues. If you keep the music volume as low as possible it might work. I would recommend some testing before the shoot so you know the settings needed.

3. Default

Thanks for the reply. It's more than likely going to be in some sort of gym or basketball court, perhaps even a smaller scout hall so I will probably need to be careful. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in doing this sort of shoot. I know all the camera angles to shoot from and I have a good lighting guy but the music is the only thing I'm worried about as I'm handling sound myself as well as directing.

Quote Originally Posted by Krenzathal View Post

I know in fitness videos like 'Insanity' the instructor uses a headset mic to talk which would reduce on set noises but I only have a shotgun and boom. !
    Then buy a headset mic, why make life difficult? They cost $100 and then you also have it for future use.