Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to tell if a video has been modified

Default How to tell if a video has been modified

Good evening,
    I have a few videos and I would like to know if they are authentic or have been modified. Is there a way of telling if a video was modified nevermind how sophisticate the tools that have been used? Could you suggest a program download that can help in doing that?
    thanks

If you right click on the file in Windows Explorer and select properties you can get some meta data such as date created and date modified, is that enough info ?

Well I'm not too sure. I have a video that is 7hours 34 minutes 56 seconds long.
    I started recording at 107am and stopped at 841am so the length is ok. However what are the chances that someone might have intervened using a software or tool of some sort and replaced 'on the go' which means as the video was recording, some prerecorded images and let them run again and again? Is there a software that would allow me to spot if the video was modified in such way? as in the video was at some point for a certain number of minutes, possible an hour or so, redirected to film from a different source where it was loaded the prerecorded images, then put back on live recording?

Blog Entries

Someone please remind me. What film was that trick used in (albelit substituting recorded secutrity camera footage for live)? Sorry for going a bit OT.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Someone please remind me. What film was that trick used in
    so you mean that is possible? would you then not spot if that happened?
    I do not know which film, possibly an Ocean movie, do not remember. Would you reckon that using some tool you might uncover the trick?

Blog Entries

What happens in films is rarely an accurate representation - just look at CSI.
    In your case I would have thought it would have to be a very good edit to "forge" the footage sucessfully such that frame by frame analysis couldn't detect it. As for software to do that frame by frame analysis, I'd be surprised if it didn't exist somehwre, but I've not come across it (or looked for it)
    Tim

. . . Too spooky
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

ok I see but then you would reckon its a possibility to hack into a surveillance camera to have the video broadcast a different image as in the ocean's movies?

It's been used in a few films notably it was done in "Mission Impossible" on the Vatican security camera system.

I'm not sure what the OP is worried about. I think there is more going on with this than meets the eye.

yes but films are one thing. My case would be quite different.So again would that be possible to achieve in real life? How long would take to modify a broadcast in such a way? would keeping the scene unsupervised for a couple of hours be sufficient to do that?
    there is more to this indeed. I see you're from York btw

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast