Thread: Proper Price Points... ?

Default Proper Price Points... ?

Hey guys, as you may have seen in my previous thread "Criticism Required" I'm a fairly amateur wedding videographer. I'm wondering what type of price points and/or options one may offer to their potential customers. I'm basically a one man show (with an assistant). I've heard word of different "options" one may give to their customers when they ask about prices. I'm curious as to what the ballpark of those "options" may be.

Thanks!

Aaron

Our options consist of main 2 camera wedding coverage up to the 2nd dance with bride at home coverage and same day edit as optional extras. We also offer a cheaper option of coverage up to the bridal party's entrance at reception @2/3rds cost of main.

Like many, it took a few years to establish what was an original style at the time and this is what built and sustained our reputation.
    I refused to look at any wedding videos at all until I'd developed what I felt was a unique take on a wedding day and could subsequently charge a rate that reflected the time spent on filming and editing to our chosen style.
    Nowadays of course anyone can watch you tube and cherry pick all the bits they want to copy, creating a mish mash of everyone else's style, in effect giving clients a choice of very similar productions with just the prices to compare.
    You may of course do what a few others do and contact established operators under the guise of "we're getting married can we have a sample DVD of what you do" (though they'll probably see you coming) and go through the whole production to mimic the filming style too.

Another option is to offer 'short form' coverage, which if you just want to use your arty shots with music over the top, that will fill a niche, then you can stick the ceremony and speeches unedited as extra chapters. Less work = cheaper package.

So, the choice is yours! Decide what coverage and options you're offering, then break it down to suit your target market. High end with all the bells and whistles, or pile em high sell em cheap.
    Only you will know exactly how much time you wish to devote to this Hope this helps!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

same day edit
    Not to be offered by the faint hearted.

Ya I couldn't imagine how stressful a some-day edit would be! Thanks for the advice!

The big problem with same day edits is that you either need to be shooting very little, so have not much to import / choose from, or you need a dedicated editor, or you're editing while you should be shooting! For me, the meal would not be long enough!

Price points are a difficult topic. What one person charges in one location may not work in another simply due to the demographics.

What I have found though is that the more expensive weddings are actually easier to shoot & edit than the cheap weddings held in non photogenic locations where the main reason for a wedding is to get drunk! So, keep that in mind when pricing!

Quote Originally Posted by David Partington View Post
    The big problem with same day edits is that you either need to be shooting very little, so have not much to import / choose from, or you need a dedicated editor, or you're editing while you should be shooting! For me, the meal would not be long enough!
    In our case = Neither! - Main cam = A hard drive with quick access to pull up to 3 hours worth of film onto a timeline and the professional experience to know exactly what I'm looking for to use in the edit. Cute, emotional, romantic and funny.
    From 2nd camera = I know exactly where the key shots will be to match up to main cam. Black and white/colour mix edited to the couples choice of track can be produced while I dine.
    Brings the house down every single time!
    The only essential requirement is . . . Balls of steel lol
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Well, I've thought about doing it several times. I know what needs to go it, but it's finding it in time. Having it on HDD helps I guess.

How long are the SDEs that you make?

Having produced many dozens of these now, I could quite easily just use clips from tape too as experience of the stress involved has lessened the OMG factor.
    Staying calm and producing a precise edit with key scenes to have the crowd cheering/sobbing becomes easier with experience. The HDD just gives more choice of clips.
    The length depends on the chosen song - Some canny brides now look for the longest ones lol
    To add to the fun, we also film their reactions!
    SDE REACTION2.jpg
    Last edited by Zero; 12-07-2013 at 04:48 PM.

((Expenses + work hours) x2) + (current workload % - desire %) = quote

For me, this formula always comes out at about 50 pence :(