Thread: Canon 700D advice

Default Canon 700D advice

I'm about to purchase a DSLR for stills and video and initially looking at the Canon 700D mainly because I wish to make use of lenses I already have i.e.EFS 17-55mm - 2.8 and a EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS.

Hopefully some of my more learned friends can tell me what the limitations would be on the video side for this choice of camera, or better still a wiser choice of Canon without breaking the bank?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

First and foremost, the greatest limitation is it's first and foremost not a video camera. I have the aging equivalent, the 550d. With an external mic and magic lantern, you get a decent video camera, but you're missing a moveable screen. The 700d gives with the screen, but I'm nit sure magic lantern is available in a stable version. As you have efs glass, I guess you want to stick to a crop sensor, so I would go for the 700d.

Cheers Marc - Does ML make the camera that much more user friendly on the video side?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    Cheers Marc - Does ML make the camera that much more user friendly on the video side?
    It's the opposite of user friendly in terms of ease of use. It does however give you options that should be available in the canon firmware.

After much deliberation, I'm going to plump for the 70D. More cost = more features, especially the essential dual pixel, focus tracking on video.

Hi Zero,

got one (70D) last week, and here is my first first first video from it: I liked the camera for pictures and videos, but people never know if you´re filming or taking pictures!! Going for another trip now, so I guess I´ll have more time to adjust to the novelties...

Good luck, Tony (not gone, just travelling and working)