Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color correction and multi-cam editing

Default Color correction and multi-cam editing

Hello,

I'm wondering what is the best method to work, when I have to make a color correction on a multi-cam (3 cameras) project? On the one hand, I think that I should correct each cam separately and after it start to edit the movie. On the other hand, it's a waste of time, because 2/3 of the raw material won't be a part of the movie. I've never made a color correction on my projects so I have no idea which is the best method. What do you think?

I also wonder how should I determine the cost of the work if I making a color correction?

Waiting for your advice, fellows

Can you tell us what software you will use?
    In basic Editors Like Sony Vegas Movie Maker, you apply "Effects" per-clip (eg for specific events perhaps) -or you can apply it trackwise - thus I would name these tracks Sam Bill Able (the three cameras) and then apply the appropriate corrections. This also applies to Audio where one camcorder might be Pan off-centre....too quiet, etc.
    However, you will find it much easier if each camera was filming a test-card so the lighting as well as the scene-lighting level can be included in the correction.
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    In basic Editors Like Sony Vegas Movie Maker...
    Movie Maker is MS's Windows Movie Maker. Sony had Vegas Movie Studio (+Platinums), which is now just Movie Studio (+Platinums), as you must know.

In basic Editors Like Sony Vegas Movie Maker, you apply "Effects" per-clip (eg for specific events perhaps) -or you can apply it trackwise - thus I would name these tracks Sam Bill Able (the three cameras) and then apply the appropriate corrections. This also applies to Audio where one camcorder might be Pan off-centre....too quiet, etc.
    However, you will find it much easier if each camera was filming a test-card so the lighting as well as the scene-lighting level can be included in the correction.
    Good Luck
    I'm using Edius. On Edius I also apply effects per-clip. The problem is that the lighting is always change, and sometimes ruin the natural colors. I can't use the same color settings throughout the clip.

I always colour grade and audio edit the finished product at the end, It's wasted effort to polish footage you may or may not use.

Also, if all the cameras are white balanced and are identical...the same grading should work for 80% of it and you just tweak depending on the change in angle/light ect

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    I always colour grade and audio edit the finished product at the end, It's wasted effort to polish footage you may or may not use.

Also, if all the cameras are white balanced and are identical...the same grading should work for 80% of it and you just tweak depending on the change in angle/light ect
    OK, thanks. I'll amke some test on my last projects to look how it works.

Can you tell me how do you determine the cost of the work for the colour correction? For how much percents should I raise the price of the work?

You're right of course, but each time I fire up the Program it says "Vegas Movie Studio" so I just added Sony's name to avoid confusion as many "Budget Editors" use somewhat similar titles.
    Since Movie Studio [MS] is the same as Microsoft [MS] when popularly capitalised, it is a shame Sony doesn't keep the Vegas in the title, esp. since the programs share much of the look and feel . . . indeed I thought the idea was folks could move up, when their filmmaking required the extra features/control.
    The upward path/cross-feature alone makes the choice of Movie Studio very sensible. The low-price and ease of use are similarly good features....

Blog Entries

You're right of course, but each time I fire up the Program it says "Vegas Movie Studio" so I just added Sony's name to avoid confusion as many "Budget Editors" use somewhat similar titles.
    Since Movie Studio [MS] is the same as Microsoft [MS] when popularly capitalised,
    Except it's not. Sony has Movie Studio. Microsoft has Movie Maker. You referred to Sony Movie Maker which does not exist. Hence vkmast's post which made exactly that point.
    Tim

Since Movie Studio [MS] is the same as Microsoft [MS] when popularly capitalised
    To add to Tim's post, I haven't seen Microsoft's Windows Movie Maker referred to as "MS".
    ...it is a shame Sony doesn't keep the Vegas in the title, esp. since the programs share much of the look and feel . . . indeed I thought the idea was folks could move up, when their filmmaking required the extra features/control. The upward path/cross-feature alone makes the choice of Movie Studio very sensible. The low-price and ease of use are similarly good features....
    Some of the reasons why SCS does not use the term "Vegas" in current versions of Movie Studio/s
    are discussed in the third post of the thread below on another forum
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/971818#971834
    The problem mentioned in that thread has been acknowledged several years ago on this forum in this sticky
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads...ing-a-question

The price you charge for colour correcting should be the same cost as you charge for editing. However if the colour correction needed is due to you not doing a good job with the cameras then this may not be fair to charge it to the customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast