Thread: Video with Transparent Bacgkround?

Default Video with Transparent Bacgkround?

My second post on this forum which already gave me joy yesterday after getting my first question answered (thank you!)

I have a couple of videos with a subject not static but moving a little within definable boundaries. The background around the subject is almost uniformly black. What I would like to do is make the black background transparent. The purpose is to post a loew res version of the video on a web site, with the transparency active.

I serached the web yesterday and it looks like I will probably manage to make the background transparent (although I would still appreciate your shortcuts and tips). However, all the tuts I looked at ended up saving the video as FLV to preserve transparency. Thta's ok for most situations except for iPad/Iphone since they don't do FLV. My question is: is FLV the only format that will preserve transparency, as thetuts seem to indicate, or do I have other choices which are more universal?

For reference, I work on PC, Windows 8, currently using AE CS6.

Thank you for your help once again.

I don't think there is a universal method which will work with all Browsers. Once upon a time it could be done using Animated GIFs.
    Nowaday, HTML5 offers the facility to incorporate an alpha channel when displaying videos; which avoids using FLV. But not all browsers support it yet. Some examples:

Two hits in two days, thanks to you again Tim. Much appreciated.

If webm supports alpha channels, this may be better than not catering for iPads. I think I'll go with that and hope most people upgrade to sensible browsers.