Thread: Data Centre

Default Data Centre

OK - I'll throw one out there and see what comes back….

The project was to capture a short sequence of an engineer entering a data centre, diagnosing a network problem, fix it, check it's fixed and then leave.

Since the data centre had around 1000 computers running in the racks, with all the associated fans running, not to mention the data centre air conditioners, we couldn't capture any useful sound on the day, so all sound was added in post, recording what ever we didn't already have.

We also had to replace the screen on the diagnostics tool in all shots because their tool didn't have any usable graphics etc.

The client wanted a blue-hue and a sci-fi drone noise, just in case you were wondering….

Last edited by David Partington; 11-25-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Sweet! Very nice job.
    Picky time: I liked the movement early on where we captured his feet and the striking angle of those images. Unfortunately subsequent shots which included the floor and didnt have any camera movement felt a little too still and rather less striking as a result (I'm taliking about 0:10, 0:11 and 0:14 which was my last favourite shot). I know that some analytical software does use Times New Roman, but I thought the large "Errors Found: 0" looked rather amateur compared to the rest of the film (the actual motion tracking and look of the screen otherwise was first class)
    Tim

Agreed

In December1988 I spent all of Christmas week, including Christmas Day, in a data centre babysitting an Apollo DN10000 computer for my customer who was trying to design a new circuit -- the video was great but it doesn't capture the reality of the ice cold room at 3am trying to stay awake with a cold McD coffee

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Sweet! Very nice job.
    Picky time: I liked the movement early on where we captured his feet and the striking angle of those images. Unfortunately subsequent shots which included the floor and didnt have any camera movement felt a little too still and rather less striking as a result (I'm taliking about 0:10, 0:11 and 0:14 which was my last favourite shot). I know that some analytical software does use Times New Roman, but I thought the large "Errors Found: 0" looked rather amateur compared to the rest of the film (the actual motion tracking and look of the screen otherwise was first class)
    Thanks for the comments and feedback, I do appreciate it. In the end we were fighting the clock and had very limited time to shoot this. I think it was something like 45 mins from start to finish,with no scripts or story board to work to. I'd never been in a data centre before, nor could they describe what their rack looked like or where it was situated, so it was a case of make it up as you go along. The engineer got a call out while we were there, so had to leave early. We had to grab a whole series of shots in a hurry and make do. given what we had I don't think it turned out too bad, but if I had my time again…. then sure, more movement on the floor

I don't remember what the font was, but that's what they wanted, and big too so the viewer got the message, but I do appreciate your comments on it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Agreed
    In December1988 I spent all of Christmas week, including Christmas Day, in a data centre babysitting an Apollo DN10000 computer for my customer who was trying to design a new circuit -- the video was great but it doesn't capture the reality of the ice cold room at 3am trying to stay awake with a cold McD coffee
    Thanks. While it wasn't warm in there, it wasn't cold, and certainly not freezing. I'm not sure the reality of a freezing cold data centre was quite what they had in mind. Maybe I didn't stay there long enough!

I liked it. It gives the strong impression of a huge system being professionally maintained. Pretty ethernet leads and flashing lights in Cisco switches and routers. But, I had to watch it again to fully appreciate the Times New Roman scene. I am wondering whether the use of the word "error" invoces an air of negativity; might it have been better to imply that all the tests had "Passed successfully".