Thread: Music Track permission

Default Music Track permission

A tricky one, but someone might have an idea where I can go for permission to use a music track.
    It's a well known rock song, but I wish to make a video for you tube that uses a regional accent over the original or re-recorded backing track. Any ideas where I go for permission guys?
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I'm not an expert by any means but I think PRS is probably what you're looking for: http://www.prsformusic.com/users/Pages/default.aspx
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Cheers guys, much appreciated! - I was thinking along the lines of re- recording the song as the 'cheapest way forward'. I'll check PRS and see how it goes.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I think we need to be very sensitive to people's copyright . . . and get them involved at the beginning.<br>
    <br>
    You might turn the process the other way round...praise their work you like and suggest a new idea - do they have anything that would fit? <br>
    Now if they are going to be any help they will - and it may be better than the idea you had.... (surely not?), and the bonus is that you've got their full attention and possibly some extra insight. However, don't expect much - the more famous they are the less they need anything they don't want to do - and being paid well will smooth things.<br><br>If there is some "newsworthy" event then that's yr "new idea"&nbsp; - but be careful that they could take yr idea and go independent - so you'd have a rival with far better polish. ....Tread carefully...<br>
    <br>
    However, someone that wants to look "with it" (and up-to-date), <strong>&nbsp;might be willing </strong>to take a first-step, seeing you as an "Experiment" that won't go noticed unless it's a stonking success - and then their name will be seen as the reason! <br>
    <br>
    I've see instances where copyright material is re-invented for some arty reason - and the owner is not happy is almost always the case . . . . they feel hurt that you didn't like their version (which the Public loves )....
    Last edited by vidmanners; 11-28-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Thanks for that paulears, it's a bit daunting though if you've spent yr budget of xk and a Lawyers letter arrives . . . I understand sometimes Hollywood (who else?) will come down on someone just to make the point - althpough I recall too the Pilsbury Incident which was said to catapault early-days "Ben & Jery ice-cream" into the limelight; although this wasn't what the No1 expected.

From a small producer sitting as I do, I use the freebe Internet stuff (with an Ackn.) and the few tracks that came with Sony SVMS v10, although v12 came with quite a lot less - and that wasn't very useful - er, IMHO.
    + With there being so many Musicians about wanting "exposure" you'd think getting a half-decent CD of "free" stuff would be easy.... for any World-class company.
    Unfortunately I think SOny sells CD's of music themes and foley too - but these are Pro-prices, although much of the Foley is stuff I can make in the backyard and adapt on the PC (using Sony's software, Ho-Ho!). Ah well, I'm still waitinh for SVMS v13 but I guess we may skip a year until a budget 4K camcorder comes out - pref one with 4 AUdio inputs..... Grr.

[Music]...I quite like UK-based AKM - which aren't too expensive, but I hate about 50% of each CD because they add drumming(or inane vocals) - you'd think it would be possible to have that racket on a third channel (( -but then why advance Stereo beyone two tracks, eh? )).
    I someone "invented" a CD Standard with four tracks (six do I hear?) for L+R +Vocal+drumming, I could use L&R leaving the other two at -1 or lower.

Do any ohters have pet-hates when it comes to Music for Films?
    -and if I may ask.... what level should the music be when the actors are speaking?
    I read somewhere that if you introduce a sound (eg foley=birdsong) it can be dropped dramatically and still register - I've done that and it's quite surprising as the waveform is almost zero - yet still you hear it . . . .I guess the ear finds something in the pauses in speech - and "puts-in" the birdsong.