Thread: Magix Movie Edit Pro 10

Kansas City, Missouri, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, Universe 42

Default Magix Movie Edit Pro 10

A few days ago I suffered yet another Windows crash as I was using NeroVision Express video editing software. I'm not bitching about Nero 6, because honestly I didn't buy it for video work, I just needed a decent CD/DVD burning program. But, I was hooked on the idea of video editing.

NVE is very frustrating at times, but when it works, it's very fast and easy to make simple DVDs from home videos, once they are digitized. Sadly, it's a royal pain to mix still pictures and video clips, so all the stuff I shot while on vacation last year still hasn't been merged into a decent home movie.

This last BSOD sent me over the edge. I embarked on a search for better editing software. Looked at Pinnacle, didn't like the reviews and gripes I read on http://www.videohelp.com. Adobe's prices shocked me into stillness. Sony's stuff seemed to be in the same boat. Then I found Magix had a video editor.

I kind of like Magix, I have used some of their software for editing midi files and regular audio files (though I think Goldwave is much better on these). So I researched what people thought about their video editor. The 2004 version looked like it wasn't as reliable as Pinnacle, though it did have many of the same features. I went to their website and they had a new version out. Went back to VideoHelp to look at reviews on it and they all said it was much improved. Seeing that the downloadable version was only $49 vs Pinnacle's $99, I took a chance on it.

Well, I'm not disappointed. I've tried to break it with way too many windows opened, tossing in a mix of mov, wmv, avi, mpeg video clips and a variety of bmp, jpg, gif and tif still pictures into it and it survived. I'm impressed. That would have killed NVE. (one minor disappointment is animated gifs are rendered as a single still of the first frame. NVE would treat it as a video clip.) I rendered to avi, mov, mpg, dv, wmv and it all worked.

Now I'm learning how to use it's many, many features.. and I think it may be a lifetime effort to learn them all. For $49, this has the most capability I could ever hope for. Every corner I turn with it seems to elicit another 'Wow! Neato!' reaction from me.

So I think I'll be busy for a long time.
    Fav quote - "Experience is whatcha don't get 'till ya don't need it no more."

System - Athlon 1.4GHz, Win98, Hauppauge PVR250 receiver and compressor.
    Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.
    Cameras - Panasonic GS9, Canon ES8400V, Canon EOS D20 and Canon A70

Blog Entries

Interesting. Have to take a look at that...

Default majix software

Crusty,

How do you like your editing software after you have had the opportunity to use it for a while now?

Peter

Re: Peter's qquestion -
    'How do you like your editing software after you have had the opportunity to use it for a while now? '
    I still like it though I haven't spent that much time on it yet. Family business kept me away from the PC last weekend, then other things came up.

I did do some trial things, like using the audio-visual effects on a musical work. Turned out ok, just a little awkwardness in the transition from one effect to the next. I'd post a link to the video, but it's rather large and I don't have a highspeed uplink on my home webserver.

I also sliced and diced and spliced some more test video with no ill effects, it just worked. Fast and simple in the timeline mode.

I did discover the program could make good use of my video card. It's an ATI 9000 and has composite video output along with xvga. I have a small TV connected so I can see what my video will look like. Well, there's a 'theatre' setting in the ATI video overlay driver that allows any overlay window in the XVGA screen to be shown full frame in the composite output. With MVEP10 I can watch my edit results in real time on it. Very cool.

There's some very neat scripts that can be used to automate the styles of my videos, they add special transitions, effects and lead-ins, lead-outs on the video.

There's also a jitter filter that can take most of the shakes out of hand-held camera shots, if there 's not much other motion in the shot. Doesn't work well with pans and zooms unless they are very slow.

I haven't tried the blue/green screen overlays, I lack proper source material for that.

So far, all has worked, except for when I chucked a rather large amount of text into the title/text/credits module. It choked and froze the program, but no blue screen. It died in a controlled fashion so I didn't get corrupt files.

I still think it's a great value.

Post Edit- I went ahead and super compressed the music/visualization clip and got it down to 3 megs in size. It's an AVI, at 10 fps, XviD 2 pass, 250kbps and mp3 audio at 22.5ksps and 64kbps vbr stereo.

http://crusty.lsmo.sytes.net/tmp/wr2.avi

Software -Magix Movie Edit Pro 10, Nero 6 + NeroVision Express, Moho 4.61, PSP 8.1, Bryce, Quicktime 6.52 pro, Goldwave 5, DVD-Lab.

Default Software

Hi Crusty,

Thanks for the insight. I have decided to get a program from Magix called "Movie Edit Pro 10". Reviewed the demo and it has a lot of bells and whistles that the "Pro" softwares have. Once I get a chance to really play with it I'll let you know how it works out. Figure I can't really fall off the curb at $45.00.

By the way I took a look at your video. Thought the song was familiar. Interesting how you put the whole thing together.

Regards,

Peter

I remember playing with Magix Pro on a demo disk one (I think it was called Silver or Platinum or something like that) and really liked it but found it a tad too basic for what I wanted.

Great little editor though
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Default Update

It's been nearly two weeks and I've only managed to get maybe 16 hours in using MEP10. So far, so good. Haven't found a real 'Aww Sh*t' yet. Just a little tedious to figure out some of the controls. Still haven't got that down.

I did read someone wanting to do a 'walk through wall' effect and that made me wonder if MEP10 could do that. Well, it can, with the help of an image editor that has alpha channels. I used an old 3D program to make the wall and saved it as a jpg. Then pulled out an old graphic of a person walking, set it's background transparent in PaintShop Pro, saved that as a png. Then I made a copy of the wall picture, edited it to have one side masked off in the alpha channel and a saved as tga. Then I started up MEP10, imported the wall jpg to the background layer, added my walking person to the next layer then put the alpha channel version of the wall on the last layer. I set the middle layer of the walker to move from left to right and it worked. Right at the mask boundary, the walker fades. Because I did a quick and dirty on the mask, the person is still visible at the top, bottom and far right side. But still, the principle is proven. Just sub in a green screen of a person walking instead of the still and it should work.

Results (mov)

Plenty of room for improvement, but it's not MEP10's fault, just mine.

Still enjoying MEP10. It's a keeper. Yesterday I was learning to use the audio visual effects generators. These are a bit like the visualization graphics on Winamp and other music players. I had a midi I'd edited, Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor, changing all the symphony parts to cathedral pipe organ. This I had post processed a .wav file from it in Goldwave to add the cathedral accoustics. The result is good on a good speaker system, there's some good stuff going on with the foot pedals.

I decided to use that in a music video. Used a few of the visualization effects along with some stills I'd created and added normal visual effects. Took a while to render, about an hour for eight minutes of video, rendered to MPEG1 so I could put it on a VCD. File size was 85 megs.

Played the thing for the family and friends we had over for New Years and they liked it. Got some rough spots, stuff I'll remember next time. But the overall I was happy with MEP10 and the results.

A 2 minute clip off the end is here -
    http://crusty.lsmo.sytes.net/mystuff/Adag.mpg

Screen capture of the project is here -
    http://crusty.lsmo.sytes.net/mystuff/ProjAdag1.jpg