Thread: Tascam DR-100 - A amateur in need of serious help...

Default Tascam DR-100 - A amateur in need of serious help...

Hey,

Im a amateur filmmaker and I pretty much a one man army. I film and do the sound recording at the same time as I have no one else to do it, so I have to learn myself.

Anyway, not knowing much about audio at all (and still don't) I bought a Tascam Dr-100 about a year ago and started recording off that using the onboard mic's and syncing it with my Canon 550d footage after. Im having loads of problems with the sound being too quiet and I also know I am not using this to its full potential and thus wasting my money by doing that. I have looked into getting an XLR mic for it, but tbh I have no idea what I am doing or what I need to get or anything, which is rather embarrassing. I have asked for advice on other forums but I end up getting bombarded with far to much information and terms/lingo I do not understand in the slightest.

I have a budget of around 400 to spend to actually get decent sound and be able to record it myself without having to rely on someone else, I understand it means it wont be great but it is all I can do. I just need a step by step guide to what I need to do to achieve decent sound from the Tascam Dr-100, including what settings I have it on.

Cheers,
    Nic

It's possible that you think it is too quiet because the master mix from the device tends to be -6db at least. You need to import it to a wavelab (or alternative) audio editor to bring it up to usable level?
    Last edited by Stripe; 11-21-2013 at 11:14 AM.

Yeah I have, however I would like to get the best out of it that I can.

To get the best audio you need to get the mic as close as you can to the person talking. This would mean either a lav (hidden clip on mic) or a shot gun mic on a pole pointing at the person as close as you can without it been in the shot. You should always monitor the audio when recording it. So plug in head phones to the digital recorder and get a levels check before recording.

Read THIS THREAD for further advice about which microphone to get. The digital recorder that you have is just fine for your needs, it's the placement of the microphone that is crucial.