Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jazz Promo Vid

1. Default Jazz Promo Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SHh...e_gdata_player

Here's a vid I just did for a muso.. i sort of fell into all this by accident..

Just wondering if I could get some more feedback about how I'm doing..

I think this is a little too long before anyone else says it... I also am not sure about the spoken bit... Also, not sure about the colour correction between shots.. I think I didn't adjust the white balance on one of the cameras before we shot,,, Oh, I dunno... Maybe I used to much light,,,

anyways.. thoughts and advice would be helpful for next time.. I usually just play guitar..

Dan

I thought it was very good.
    I may be wrong but it looked like all the shots of the double bass player's head were out of focus. It may just be a trick of the light, but some scenes "looked" extremely crisp and sharp. Perhaps the mix of coulour and black and white plays games with my brain.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I thought it was very good.
    I may be wrong but it looked like all the shots of the double bass player's head were out of focus. It may just be a trick of the light, but some scenes "looked" extremely crisp and sharp. Perhaps the mix of coulour and black and white plays games with my brain.
    hi Tim. u nean the shot at 1:30? thats the only one to me that looks a bit dodgy? think i might have cut to a new shot before i found the new focus as i didnt want a shot of an ear, but on reflection maybe i shoukd have just used something else.. other than that i think the focus is ok on most shots?

Colors were fine but I would have put the spoken bit earlier. As you already mentioned the whole video could be condensed but of course it depends on the target audience. I guess Jazz fans sometimes like it long

Blog Entries

This looked to me like a vid put together by a musician. I mean that as a compliment. Never did I feel I was seeing a shot of the wrong muso. I particularly liked the left hand shot at around 3:28 where we saw the drummer and vibe player's sticks/mallets?) moving together and this also works well with the right hand shot of the main man playing sax. You've used good camera movement to inject some sort of continual movement as the subjects are basically static. Well done.
    Tim

Just one little niggle, there seemed to be a lot of searching focus on one of the cameras. Which is, I think why TimA thought the bass player was out of focus. I think not such a shallow depth of field would have been better for some of the shots. But I did like others like the shot up of the bass at 3:35. the depth of field worked well.

The whole thing needs a drastic cut at least half the length if it's going to fit it's purpose. Right now it seems more like a performance piece and not a promo piece.

You have the makings of what could be a very nice promo for the very talented artist.

After reading the description, I fell over and giggled a lot, and then wanted to watch your video. I liked your modest approach.

As for this video, you say Promo, I say promo for an agent maybe, for anything else I think it is too long or structured incorrectly. I liked the split screen at 3.30 and think you could have utilised that earlier to gain some attraction for your audience. The introduction of band members was a bit dull at the start, nobody cares about their names at this point, it's important to start with the good stuff. However, he had an excellent voice - maybe use him more?

But there were plenty of good things here, it's just all about where you are pitching this, and therefore getting the eye candy/pace correct.

I found the bassist blurry quite a lot, I wonder if this was auto focus all through? I'm just guessing, but seemed you repeated shots and they had the same focusing, whereas with manual you can get away with repeat shots because you are focusing elsewhere, or pull focusing etc.

I got through it, just, which is worth 10 points, but since it is jazz you get triple difficulty level, so that's 30
    Last edited by Stripe; 11-18-2013 at 12:44 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    After reading the description, I fell over and giggled a lot, and then wanted to watch your video. I liked your modest approach.

As for this video, you say Promo, I say promo for an agent maybe, for anything else I think it is too long or structured incorrectly. I liked the split screen at 3.30 and think you could have utilised that earlier to gain some attraction for your audience. The introduction of band members was a bit dull at the start, nobody cares about their names at this point, it's important to start with the good stuff. However, he had an excellent voice - maybe use him more?

But there were plenty of good things here, it's just all about where you are pitching this, and therefore getting the eye candy/pace correct.

I found the bassist blurry quite a lot, I wonder if this was auto focus all through? I'm just guessing, but seemed you repeated shots and they had the same focusing, whereas with manual you can get away with repeat shots because you are focusing elsewhere, or pull focusing etc.

I got through it, just, which is worth 10 points, but since it is jazz you get triple difficulty level, so that's 30
    As I say,, It's too long.. My original cut was rejected and he asked for more,,, This happens a lot with musos despite what I tell them, and they're the ones paying me soooo.... This is what we get.. I like Jazz music and I find this a little dull.. I'd agree with the earlier comment that the third sequence/song is the strongest and perhaps I should have started with that. The third sequence was where my orignal cut stopped, and the sax player asked for another one... I was most familiar with the footage by that time and I guess it shows.

As with regard to the blurry/shallow depth of field thought, I think that's a really good point that I sometimes shoot with too wide a aperture, it's just that what separates dodgy camcorders from good SLR's is the depth of field, so I always (sometimes to my detriment) want to utilise that to add more focus to the project. I can see in some of the shots that the bassist/vibes shot would have benefited from a less shallow DOF. I guess I always think I should have the cameras set the same, so they're all at 1.8, 24fps.

With regards to the re-used shots, I shot this on 3 cameras, a handheld 30mm (cropped), a wide angle 24mm (full frame) and a 50mm (cropped) and that's the one I think everyone says the bassist is blurry, although it's focussed on the vibes player. I didn't use auto focus for any shots, and the only shots that aren't filmed with the live audio are the close up shots, but I don't think they were re-used. Although the angles were the same I suppose, from take to take... I only can have so many ideas ... ;p

It's also pretty funny that everyone likes the spoken bits and wants them earlier, as I though these were a bit weak and unnecessary and wanted them out all together... Again, not my call and he wanted them. He's quite softly spoken so it needed quite a lot of post to sort out, but I guess your right,, If he's going to speak may as well get in there earlier...

Anyway, Thanks for all the input guys! Very much appreciated. I think what I can take away is that I should only use DOF if the shot requires it (looks wicked IMO on the close portrait shots, but maybe not quite right for a wider angle or a shot with more than 1 specific point of interest). And maybe I should be more brutal with players that want huge promo videos... Not sure how to go about that...

You get paid, so all is well lol.

I aim at one minute for promos these days, it's the average attention span, maybe 2 minutes at a push. My stats on youtube show me that 2 minute videos get viewed for 2 minutes, whereas 5 minute videos average about 2.30 - pretty simple logic there I think. Just imagine if reviewers are watching many submissions, I would expect they are very thankful to see a short promo, so you have already gained points.

I think I saw the bass/vibes shot 5 times, or it felt like it. I don't think it's wrong to use DOF, but with 2 subjects, really that was crying out for pull focus don't you think?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    You get paid, so all is well lol.

I think I saw the bass/vibes shot 5 times, or it felt like it. I don't think it's wrong to use DOF, but with 2 subjects, really that was crying out for pull focus don't you think?

Yeah, it would have been nice, but it was just a static cam. I was hand holding the other one. I tend to use wider aperture as well, as most of the stuff I shoot is at night or in a dingy club with minimal lighting. Not sure how I would have set up TBH the camera differently to flatten out the shot?? Would have had to have gone to 5.6 or higher I guess?, but then the iso would have to be boasted and I might would get some noise in the shot and it would have looked different to the others right?? 50mm is by far not ideal too I guess for this kind of thing.. Probably would have been better on one focus subject...

It's a hard one as the guy wanted a few full takes (this is not the only video but I won't bore you with more). That's why I used the two statics and the handheld, to capture as many angles of the actual take as possible to edit the full takes... So some of what your seeing is the live take and some of it (all the close ups pretty much) is set up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast