Thread: Newbie video here - seeking advice

Default Newbie video here - seeking advice

Hey guys I am brand new to this and from what I've seen most of you are way ahead of me. Anyways I put this together using AVS 6.0 and would very much appreciate any sort of feedback. Thank you.

Nice editing but I think the music was too calm for the action sequences. Furthermore did you not build up the video to a climax and it was too long for me. Three minutes would have been about right. I would e.g. put the sequence of getting a part of the basket net in the end, the empty floor from 0:46 followed by the posters from 0:04 would have been my first sequences. In the sequence at 0:20 one player would have been sufficient. Maybe fade them into each other as starting the sequence over and over again somehow takes off the pace.

I'm a bit confused. Obviously this is not your own footage, and really you could have a computer program edit bits of footage together with the right(ish) soundtrack and make it seem ok, which is what this is.

I don't get the point.

Overall - a good start.

A lot of the early scenes appear to have been slowed down in post, but sadly but not very well. Use programs like Twixtor (which costs money), Time Warp in After Effects (free if you have AE! Set the quality to highest and it usually does a great job), or Optical Flow if using FCPX or Motion.

For scenes where they are on court you need to add some ambient sounds of cheering, clapping, general crowd noise etc - it makes a HUGE different.

Remember, audio is at least half of video and without it things can easily 'look' flat. Take a great cinematographer and give them a bad sound track and you have a mediocre film at best. Take a mediocre cinematographer and given them a great sound track and all of a sudden the pictures look much better. It's something worth remembering. Music isn't the only thing in a great sound track.

Ball bouncing noises, crowds cheering or the sound of disappointments when they miss shots etc… I was missing them all.

Applause when the trophy was handed over for sure….

You don't have to use the original sound for every clip, you can often cheat by taking sound from different footage, no one will know.

4:38 you added some sound - great, but now the music is too loud over the interview, it needs to be dipped (by probably 20db or more).

Not sure the music is what I would have chosen, but then it's your film not mine.

It really needed a climatic shot at the end…. with a similarly climatic end to the music, not just a crescendo but a final 'bang', 'clash' or something else with an end credit or something to tell more is coming, or something like that.

So, with all this in mind, a great first edit.

Thank you for all the advice it is much appreciated and helps a lot. You guys are much more advanced and your input is very helpful. I think moving up from AVS and adding some of the mentioned programs and techniques is a must, I feel like i'm in the stone age but saving up money for windows equivalent of FCP along with AfterEffects....all of what you said makes total sense and I totally missed it, I've never had schooling in this industry so you guys are great! Thankful