Thread: Marting Luther King jr. Video

Default Marting Luther King jr. Video

Salutations, if you have time to spare please watch this inspiring video honouring Dr. Martin Luther King jr. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvrZl...ature=youtu.be
    So for my video class our teacher made us summit a competition piece to demonstrate his famous quote, "to Rise above yourself." and this is my first time actually working with dynamic dialogue. Overall I feel confident in this piece. Any Feedback on it will be appreciated.

I thought it was a good concept. Apart from a few continuity errors I think you did a reasonable job with this.

Well done.

Blog Entries

I thought is was quite well constructed and well acted.
    One very easily addressed problem this film had was with crossing the line (I mean you can address it next time - too late for this one)

Opening scene:Girl left, boy right
    0:08 girl left, boy right - good
    0:13 girl left, boy right - good
    etc up to 0:20 Hanna appears to girls left but we see her crossing to her right - good
    0:22 girl left, Hanna right - good
    0:22.5 Hanna left, girl right - Oooop!
    0:23 girl left Hannah right - erm? Who is who?
    0:25 Hannah left, girl right - confusing ... (and the boy and other kids have disappeared)
    0:27 girl left, Hannah right - this is making me giddy
    same shot - they cross over so we now have Hannah right, gilr left beut we cut to
    0:30 where the girl is to the left and Hannah to the right again

You get the picture. You either know all this and faile dto get the shots or you don't know it and got lucky with some of the later stuff which was assembled correctly but was, to my mind more tricky to get right.

If you're not aware of the "rule", broadly every shot/scene has a line of action and when cutting between shots the camera should be on the same side of the line. When there are two people in a scene the "line" is normally between the two subjects' eyes. When you only have one person, the line is either the persons line of sight or direction of travel. If you "cross the line" it gives the impression you (the viewer) have suddenly jumped from one place to another or that the subjects have suddenly switched places. If you need to cross the line you can eiher show it happening (as in people crossing each others paths, or a camera moving relative to the people) or cut away to a neutral shot (either a totally different shot or a straight on shot of one of the subjects)

You can berak the rule if you want to create confusion (eg a frantic chase/fight scene), but generally a film will "flow" better if you obey it.

So, easily solved, and you can make your next film even better than this very promising offering.
    Tim

4. Default

Like Tim says every scene needs to have a defined line (that the camera does not cross). Pre production can really help keep on top of things like this but great job!

I totally agree with what you're saying about the "crowd" suddenly disappearing, something I'm still beating myself over. I know all about the 180 Rule and how we shouldn't cross the line unless we intentionally want to and in that short bit I felt that it would in a way hint that anomaly of Hannah's existence early on in the film. Even in the dialogue we are hinting that Hannah does not exist, but in all ways I really appreciate your advice and I will keep in mind all you've mentioned in future films.

I was becoming impressed with the whole soundtrack, then toward the end I couldn't really hear the girl talking. The framing still seems a bit cramped, are you using a fixed lens? Some nasty flare going on, it seems almost impulsive to aim a cam at the light, but it needs to be the opposite, and bright windows are a no-no.

Overall a good education piece, but the plot was a bit clumsy, and it needed something more to take it out of soap opera and into short film. I would suggest you think more about establishing shots, because they also give the viewer a break from the dialogue, set the pace, and create the atmosphere you want to project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fredriov View Post
    I know all about the 180 Rule and how we shouldn't cross the line
    I did wonder but it's always worth posting as you never know who might read and this was a perfect example of doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredriov View Post
    unless we intentionally want to and in that short bit I felt that it would in a way hint that anomaly of Hannah's existence early on in the film.
    Nice idea, but I'm afraid all it did was distract me.
    Tim