Thread: Converting AVCHD video to smaller size

Question Converting AVCHD video to smaller size

Inorder to burn them to single-layer DVDs I want to convert two 4.9GBAVCHD (friend's) camcorder videos to smaller (in GB) sized files withmaybe less high video but high audio quality, keeping the pictureheight&width (1440x1080) and, at best, using a freeware tool. Theoriginal files have extension .mts, a data rate of 7077kBit/s videoand 256kBit/s audio. I assume the future watchers of the videoscannot watch acvhd-formats. I do not have any software pre-installedexcept NTI Media Maker 8.

Itried several tools that promised to be able to convert them to aformat like .wmv, .mkv, .avi, .mp4, .mpg, .vob ("=DVD format"?)to obtain smaller files, for example hamster, formatfactory, CUDAvideo converter, DVDVideoMedia Free HD Converter, Avidemux, VLC mediaplayer and others, but nowhere I managed to obtain a file withoutshuttering, a changed height&width, non-in-sync audio/videostart, ads in the resulting file or crashes

Initiallymy plan was to create a nice DVD in a reasonable time effort whereone could select either of the two files, or possibly even chaptersinside them, the start of which I would want to determine myself.After lengthy unsuccessful attempts it seemed to me that it might notbe possible without advanced knowledge so I redefined my goals to asquickly as possible finish my minimum purpose to convey the video tocolleagues and burn a data DVD. Achieving the second task would be afurther project then...

MyPC features Intel i3 M330 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 Home SP1, 64bit

Ihope someone can provide me with a guided answer since my knowledgein formats is early stage... I guess a great answer would not onlyinclude a link to a working tool but also instructions if there isany possibility of easy mistakes...

Thankyou very much!

AVCHD is about as compact as you can reasonably get and maintain the quality in HD.

Now, a coupe of things,

• Preserving audio quality on a DVD should be no problem

• Sticking with 1440x1080 - well that's not a DVD! DVDs are standard definition, not high definition.

So, what exactly do you want ?

3. Default

Like David says 1440x1080 is not DVD. What are you planning on showing this video on?

You can get an AVCHD Converter from Brorsoft to compress its resolution from 1080p to 720p or other, downscale its bitrate can also reduce the video files.