Thread: First Wedding Video

Default First Wedding Video

Looking for some feedback on my first wedding video. Shot with 1 Sony HDR CX360. Edited with Imovie. I have no formal training and am considering some sort of film training. Any and all feedback is welcome. Feel free to skip the speech and parental dances. Also feel free to laugh at the ridiculous dancers. Thanks for watching.

Hazel Park, Michigan, United States

Basically it's TLTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
    Basically it's TLTW.
    I can understand this.

The problem is (for us) not knowing quite what you're really after. Are you after a pat on the back with a couple of pointers here or there, or an honest appraisal of the film based on where you'd probably like to be in a couple of years time? It would be easy to criticise so many aspects while forgetting our own first wedding film. With this in mind I'm hesitant to start typing.

The major problems for me (and I really didn't watch that much ) are:

• Exposure control - much of it seems to have been captured using an auto mode?

• Colour corrections - lots of the shots are are badly in need of colour correction

• Terrible slo-mo to the point of wincing quite a lot!

• Poor cuts / fades / transitions timing

• Some shaky footage (a pet hate of mine)

How much more do you want?
    Last edited by David Partington; 11-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

BTW - I realise that came across as all negative. I didn't mean to be. You clearly put a lot of thought and effort in to the filming and editing, but it you're going to ask for comments and feedback it's a fact that you'l get more of what could be improved than anything else.

Lots of people shoot their first video, think it's awesome then come to forums expecting lots of praise to make them feel even better about what they've done and don't like any constructive comments at all.

Others come genuinely looking for comments on what they did wrong so they can do it much better going forward.

It's often very hard to know who is who from a first post and most people won't answer simply because they don't want to offend if they are seeing more wrong than right (I'm not saying that's the case here, but often it can seem like that if they sit down to write an honest appraisal).

Most of the things that need to be addressed come from experience of 'doing it' rather than reading on forums or in books. As Walter Murch said, editing is like learning to dance, you can read books about it, you can watch videos about it, but at some point you have to actually get on the dance floor and start doing it.

The same goes for filming. We still learn something new as time goes by. As your first video, great! Now what do you want to do from here?
    Last edited by David Partington; 11-06-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Hazel Park, Michigan, United States

I should also have mentioned that I am guilty of the same thing in my early work. Videos like that are obviously geared to a specific audience, people who were part of the experience in most cases. Almost a glorified home movie in a way.

My guess is the OP has, like many before him, been viewing dozens of online wedding clips and has now filmed his own and tried to imitate the style of the 'big players' he's seen.
    For any friends of his who are viewing this, it will seem innovative. Striking shots of the Church interior, overlaid with ceremony audio.
    It's a good start OP, but go back to the big players clips and play them alongside your own and check out those subtle, but monumental differences.
    Building a good reputation for making great videos can't be done by copying other operators styles.
    It starts with learning the basics, something we were all reluctant to do as we too thought we were gifted with the uncanny ability to create masterpieces just by pressing the record button and slotting a nice track over the top.
    Good to know you're considering formal training, which is essential to know the boundaries and limitations of any equipment you have, then when you're in control of the essentials, sit back try to think of an original way of presenting the finished product or you'll end up like too many operators just mimicing the best and not making an original style of your own.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Any and all criticism is appreciated. How can one learn if their mistakes are not pointed out to them? I know I messed up the ceremony which is probably the most important part, but I feel like the rest came out ok. I did the wedding on a wim for some friends free of charge. Had no idea what I was doing lol. I'm hoping to get an internship with a reputable company when the season starts back up. Debating on film school (the costs are outrageous). Will an internship serve the same need or is film school essential to creating your own business?

OK, well….

00:06 The opening shot looks jerky, could be youtube misbehaving.

00:21 - 00:32 - Church windows - obviously hand held and possibly slowed down (seems to stutter). Because the camera is on auto exposure everything inside looks black because it's exposing for the windows only. There are ways around this.

00:35 - The minister talking, definite audio issues here. Lots of echo, probably recorded using the on camera mic so that the sound is coming from all directions with lots of reverb. In the future you'll want to get some proper audio gear (either standalone recorders or wireless lav kits) that will record the minister, groom and bride vows/rings very clearly (lav mics), instead of with all the echo. Echo is easy to add in post production if you actually want it, but much harder to remove. There are a couple of plug-ins around, such as deverb or iZotope but they aren't free (or even cheap).

00:46 Walking through the church - obviously hand held (we all do this!) and speeded up (we don't all do this!). Not sure if iMovie has stabilisation built in or not, but if it does you should use it! If not, the cheapest way to get stabilised footage would be to purchase Motion 5 from the App store. Something like $50 and can make a huge difference to these kinds of shots. When it's stabilised it looks like the camera is floating rather than the bob/weave/wobbly when walking with something hand held.

00:52 - onwards - lots of b-roll shots that are hand held, and some look like they've been slowed down because they stutter. Not great. Sometimes it's easier to grab a still (choose one frame) and then do a ken burns type push or pull on the frame. Not perfect but at least it doesn't wobble and would be smooth.

01:16 Looks like people are cut off at the angle. Easy mistake to make in the rush of things. Either move in to that it looks like a deliberate crop or pull back to get everything in. Cutting people off at the 'joints' (ankle, knee, elbow etc) can look really awkward of often that's where the eye is drawn. If you need to crop, do so half way between the joints (calf, thigh etc). Also these shots could benefit by adding a little vignette (don't over do it) just to draw the viewers attention to the subject and not get distracted by the edges.

01:19 Obviously slowed down. Nasty. If you want to slow things down like this then you need to do it using optical flow type technologies that generate the intermediate frames so it remains fluid and smooth. Not sure if iMovie has optical flow (FCPX does) but it's something that is also in Motion (the $50 from the App store) so another reason to get Motion. Another alternative (more expensive) is After Effects or Twixtor.

01:31 Again, hand held, could greatly benefit from some stabilisation. I often also add a small zoom (in post - never in camera) so add some movement to these types of shots. Its not much (usually from 100% to 104%) but just enough to add something extra instead of a plain shot.

01:35 Bride arriving. Zooming "in camera" is something we almost always remove from the edit. You have to stop yourself doing it! Crash zooms are one of the big no-no things on video. Better to let them have room to be in within the frame, and maybe zoom (a little) in post if needed, but once the crash zoom is in the footage you can't take it out again. I see lots of beginners (and even experienced people) zooming in and out on brides and frankly it's the first thing that screams "amateur".

01:43 Bride and father walking down the isle. This is one place I don't mind adding a very slow zoom out to reveal them walking down the isle, but it's purely optional. Sometimes it's nice to see them just arrive and walk in to the shot, other times and slow reveal works well. Personal choice and certainly venue dependant. Again the audio is problematic because it's all echo and difficult to listen to.

02:05 Obviously slowed down (jerky) and looks like a fish, mouth opening and closing but nothing coming out. Not too bad in short highlights where you're trying to get everything in, but in a longer film I tend to avoid this. Personal preference. If you want to show people were there, try to find a spot in the footage when they're smiling instead of mouth opening and closing but no words coming out.

02:10 There's not enough room in front of the guy, he should have been framed on the right hand thirds (his closest eye on the intersection of the top horizontal and vertical thirds). He's looking off screen but we don't see what to, so it looks un natural. If he was looking in to the screen (from the right hand thirds) it would look much better.

02:16 Lost the tops of the heads and his hand is distracting, as is the woman in the background. Also very shaky! (tip - always use a tripod in the ceremony!)

02:21 Zooming and slowed down. hmmm. I would have cut that differently.

02:26 First Kiss. It's tempting to be close in to see the emotion, but (with a single camera) you lose the ability to see the reaction of family or friends and you lose context. It's then impossible to find that context without zooming out (in camera). Leaving the zoom in the edit is un-natural. Our eyes can't zoom, so zoom on video is something our brains have trouble processing. I would have shot this slightly wider to begin with, although I can see you were probably struggling with some one in front (to the right), maybe the photographer? In situations like this having a tripod is useful because you can leave the camera on the tripod and step back to let the photographer shoot over your camera. That way you both get the shot you need.

02:43 Very jerky, and looks slowed down.

Shots outside - need some colour corrections.

03:14 Don't do the zoom!

03:15 The video should have been faded before the music ends OR the sound from the next scene over lap slightly (read about J & L cuts).

03:19 The transition from one scene to another is totally separated and would have been better cut so that they flow together (again, J & L cuts)

03:37 (before and after) Good attempt at covering the details. Colour, stabilisation etc all important.

03:46 (Photo Booth) better to grab a still and add a slight ken burns than than to try to slow-mo the video and add jerkyness

Could comment on individual shots but won't, except 04:13 - straighten that horizon!

04:20 - Clearly the auto white balance is really struggling here. Needs colour correction (or better still shoot with manual white balance and exposure). Shooting in to windows has two main problems. The first is you are potentially in a backlight situation and if the camera is on auto it makes the subjects inside darker because it's trying to balance the outside light. The other problem is that the light coming from outside will be a different colour temperature than inside, so either outside will look blue (as in this case) or the inside will look orange or some mix of both. Compare the colour to 04:29. Some background sound would have been good here and help to lead in to the next scene...

04:37 - Great that you have sound from the DJ, but some clapping / ambient sound here would help stitch the entrances together. Sometimes it's hard to do if there is music playing, so it's worth trying to find some cheering / clapping from other places, either in the same film or from another one that you can overlay. Otherwise we see cuts where things are happening but there's no sound from it at all (even if it's not the original sound). It looks odd. Audio is At LEAST 50% of video and many say it's more.

OK - that's enough for now. Don't want to overload you!
    Last edited by David Partington; 11-25-2013 at 09:04 AM.

PM sent. Sorry if it's to long!