Thread: No need to draw a line here...

Default No need to draw a line here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYNrFPTQqVI

I posted a link a couple of weeks ago to a vid I shot which I was unhappy with because the musician wanted x, y or z which were weak options. In this case, however, the artist was a dream (and just as well as this was a freebie!)

Kacey is great, someone who likes to have a good time on a shoot and just likes me to get on with what I do best. Sure, there are lots of issues given the time, lack of budget and the issues around shooting in a working pub during the daytime with customers wandering in and out! Zero light control but you will see we didn't have too many problems with crowd control...

Anyway, despite the limitations of this being a fast shoot because it was a working pub, limited kit (Canon 550d with stock and some kind of wide angle Tokina, think it was a 1.4), handheld and zero light control, I think this turned out OK. Don't want to have to shoot that fast again but it was good because Kacey is a lot of fun and allowed us to get on with what we wanted to do. It was a real pleasure to shoot this.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did making it.
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 10-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    "80% of success is turning up" - Woody Allen

The singer acts great but the bikes on grass looked somehow odd to me. I would have liked to see a bit more from the other band members.
    Is the screen squeezed? It looks to me as if it weren't naturally super wide.
    The is quite some time of black in the end. Was that intended?
    Overall I liked video and music very much especially the idea of having the bike inside the bar..

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    The singer acts great but the bikes on grass looked somehow odd to me. I would have liked to see a bit more from the other band members.
    Is the screen squeezed? It looks to me as if it weren't naturally super wide.
    The is quite some time of black in the end. Was that intended?
    Overall I liked video and music very much especially the idea of having the bike inside the bar..
    Thanks! The screen wasn't naturally wide but played with the aspect ratio a bit, partly because of a couple of elements. Some of this was shot with wide angle lenses but the singer didn't like it because it made her look a little wider as well! We also had a few strange bits and pieces in the background because it was a live working pub and you can see customers at the bar getting beers!

Black at the end wasn't intended. That's just an FCP thing and as Kacey uploaded it to YouTube, don't think she cut it off.

Also, this was a question of just doing what we could with what we had. The other band members weren't there. The guys with the instruments were just some people we roped in! We had some bikes and some grass so let's put the bikes on the grass! We had a bar and a bike so let's put the bike in the bar! Pure guerilla style!

Glad you like it and you can see everyone was having a good time!
    Last edited by gorillaonabike; 10-30-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Totally nuts shoot by the sounds of it

What happened at 1.50, I realised there was some stretchy vision going on but that went a bit weird.

I am impressed by the work you did in that kind of restrictive environment, I don't really get her though, she looks old but not cool, not quite Suzy Quatro lol.

Also impressed by 430 views in 2 days, she seems ever so popular considering her other videos never managed that kind of attention - have they been hyped?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Totally nuts shoot by the sounds of it

What happened at 1.50, I realised there was some stretchy vision going on but that went a bit weird.

I am impressed by the work you did in that kind of restrictive environment, I don't really get her though, she looks old but not cool, not quite Suzy Quatro lol.

Also impressed by 430 views in 2 days, she seems ever so popular considering her other videos never managed that kind of attention - have they been hyped?
    Thanks for the positive comments!

1.50: Two elements:

1. The picture was amended in a software package which slightly changes the aspect ratio. This was just to boost the bike's headlight
    2. There were two many unattractive elements so needed to crop it and focus in on the bike completely. The stuff you can't see ruins the picture and, for example, there is a person sitting in there with a camera. You can't see it because the person has been re-coloured, there is a 'square' of light hiding them etc...

I'm one of these guys who thinks... 'what do I need to do to make the picture look good?' I always get flamed because of aspect ratio changes and technical 'infringements' but I do them anyway if I like the image.

We're all quite surprised by circa 450 views in a couple of days. I think the vid is good so it is spreading by word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaonabike View Post
    I'm one of these guys who thinks... 'what do I need to do to make the picture look good?' I always get flamed because of aspect ratio changes and technical 'infringements' but I do them anyway if I like the image.
    That's very interesting, because in another thread we are debating the topic of stabilisation, and what is considered right and wrong. It is like you say, flamed upon often, and yet I doubt any of your 450 viewers turned the video off because the shot at 1.50 was technically incorrect.

Seems you have a success here, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    That's very interesting, because in another thread we are debating the topic of stabilisation, and what is considered right and wrong. It is like you say, flamed upon often, and yet I doubt any of your 450 viewers turned the video off because the shot at 1.50 was technically incorrect.

Seems you have a success here, well done.
    520 views in a couple of days for a total unsigned artist no-one has ever heard about with no management is doing OK. Shares are doing pretty well.

My take on technical flaming is that I will sacrifice technicals for story as this is the better option. It took me a little while to figure that one out and to listen to advice from the right people but I think this is strong evidence that this works.