Thread: Studio fails to render and then crashes

Default Studio fails to render and then crashes

I have just started using Studio 9.4 on a PC that was running audio production work just fine.

Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394 Mobo
    Athlon XP +2600 CPU
    512MB Ram
    Matrox G450 Dual Head AGP
    Seagate ATA 40gig - boot
    Seagate SATA 80gig x 2 - data
    XP Pro SP2
    AOpen 16 X DVD Writer

I have been successfully making DVD projects for the past month that run for around 1 hr comprising around 10 blocks of rendered mpeg files which were created in Studio and then re-loaded into the video track and rendered as a complete file. As I needed to frequently edit sections of the blocks I decided to split all the blocks up into individual files, totalling 80 individual mpeg renders. This is when my problems started. I render at 720x576 @ 6000 and when I select "create render" Studio thinks about it for around 15 secs or so and then crashes. If I remove 40 files it starts to render and after around 5 mins of rendering Studio again crashes. If I go back to my 10 blocks which is the sum of all the 80 files, all is fine. After each individual render I check each of the 80 files and all is well.

As my Page File Usage in Task Manager reflected a demand of 1.8 gig I figured that some extra ram might help. I replaced the 512MB with a single 1gig stick (DDR400 PC3200) but the problem remained. I have a second PC identical to the above and the same issues apply. I transferred the spare 512 ram stick to the second PC but problem remained. I am looking along the lines of playing with the Page File sizes but am not sure what the settings should be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin

Default hmmmm

It sounds to me like your system cant hack it. _ I was running the same motherboard and It worked fine until I tried to get the system to render multiple files one after the other. I dont think this si down to your board though. It may be a system cache problem. I'd sugest you render off the Mpeg2 files separately then build your dvd with pre-rendered files.
    Even with my current system which seems to handle anything i throw at it, I still render off MPEG2 files before I author a DVD. I have fornd that DVD authoring packages dont do the best job at rendering mpeg2 files. Use the program you did the edit in to render - The source prog always does a better job.

Default Pinnacle reneding issues

Hi Mark
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have gone back to the process of combining mpegs into blocks, breaking before and after the mpegs that have to change in the sequence regularly, and all is working fine again now. It is the learning curve of embarking on a new direction. I am from an audio background with around 15 hrs a day spent recording and editing and I pretty much have that medium sussed. Am enjoying video now. Someone mentioned that it would be preferable to work in avi files rather than mpegs, as mpegs should be seen as final file format and not working format. Any comments? I have been trying the Vegas6 demo, but am unable to test it properly as it will not allow mpeg as a working format in the demo version. Have you found any issues with Vegas, as the product is not supported as such here in South Africa so I am forced to buy it over the net and our rate of exchange makes it fairly expensive to make a misteke with. I use Soundforge as one of my audio editors and it have proved to be very stable.

Kevin

Default Vegas 6 & Avi's

Working in Mpeg2 while editing is a lil dodgy but possible. When you capture the material if your system captures as avi then edit in avi. The avi's are not as compressed as mpeg2 files so they are much bigger files. However Because they are nor compressed they handle effects better. Once you have your final edit sorted then encode all the separate vids into Mpeg2's. Then deal with the DVD authoring.

Vegas 6 - On the front page of this Mesage board it suggests Vegas to be on a par with with premier or an alternative. Dude -this is not so it is FAR FAR FAR SUPERIOR. Having worked in Broadcast suites using Media100 and Avid I have been amazed by Vegas. Premier is kiddie play toys in comparrison. I would try and get it if you can. If you only have the demo version I'm sure if you had eneough imagination (wink wink) you could find something to sort that out so you could use mpegs.