Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A bluesumentary

Default A bluesumentary

I attended an overnight folk festival, and decided to take my cam. Two weeks later and now they have their own youtube channel with 15 of my videos on it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYT...gIUf80g/videos and close to 1000 views in the first month - so all good.

It was all learning for me, they are mostly performance videos (I took my new lighting kit, it worked well).

Whilst doing the ordinary, I created myself a task of putting together a short piece to give a fly on the wall idea of what it is like to perform.

I'm sure plenty of us have read 'digital video' by Tom Ang. I've always taken note of the project pieces in that book, and try to learn to use the situation to tell the story, as opposed to doing the ordinary thing. I like the challenge of being aware of the surroundings enough to find a relevant story.

Maybe the hard part is having someone you have never met go along with your idea, but he did, these are very positive people, and here it is...

I liked the outro very much but I think it took a bit too much time until the "protagonist" got on the stage. The strumming did not match the music so well (maybe try slow motion) and I wonder how the video might have looked if you stabilized them in post.

Thanks for comment XX.

The track is not meant to be synced, it's a song he did live, but it's no more than a soundtrack for the video, in fact I seem to have got lucky and at one time it is perfect sync despite being a different song, so I can see that this could mislead the viewer - amazing!

The stage shots were deliberately held back because this was supposed to be a performing experience, hence the arriving/practicing/kids play etc.

Interested in the stabilisation stuff, I never bothered with that before, usualy I am tripod, but I intend to do more hand held, and my lens is not a stabilised lens as such. Which bits were noticable, and what are your experiences with this?

Maybe I just noticed the non-syncing because I play the guitar too (from time to time).

Considering the shakiness I already gave some comments in your dedicated thread but to give you some specific examples let me point out that e.g. the shaky character was fine for getting out of the car but e.g. on stage or when he was sitting on the ground at the car I would have liked it more stable. After all it's maybe just my personal preference.

What parts did you use a lighting kit on?

No lighting kit on this video, just for some of the performance videos on the channel that was mentioned

Getting a bit wierd on this camera shake thing, it's really not noticable, and if anything, for a documentary type shoot I'd say it's perfectly acceptable, almost mandatory.

I think doing these little videos is giving you great experience. So long as you are learning from doing them you will start to see a big improvement in you videos. You'll get to the point where you can walk into a room and immediately see where to place the camera for the best shot and become much more adept at using the camera. Another thing is learning how to deal with people this can be a hard think to do for some people. You're also going to become the go to guy as your always around filming, which has to be a good thing.

I don't thin the camera shake is too bad on this piece for what it is may be the shot at 1:17 could have been locked off on the tripod and you know how I feel about the following zoom shot. What would have been better would be to build up to the point where he is playing the song on stage that we had been listening to this would have brought the piece to a natural conclusion. IMO. but I don't mean changing the ending you already have.

Would a monopod be an idea for you?

Nice comment MB, yes I have had plenty of feedback on dealing with people, it is a strength of mine, and I have no problem approaching people, I think it is a necessary strength in this game. My Northern UK cheeky confidence is always an advantage, and at the end of the day, if you have a camera in your hand people will do most things, (it's almost relative to how pro the cam looks - which is human nature for you).

I had to lay the camera down to record the actual soundtrack performance, so that the recording didn't get disturbed. I didn't have the cam on him, and so I attempted the twist of his daughter back at the practice place getting ready to succeed him, which is the point of the video. The festival asks for performers to step up and play, so it was kind of a promo for that idealism, and to show budding performers there is nothing to fear, to give them a taste of the whole experience. This guy was very nervous about performing, so there is an irony that he will now help people to perform.

XXL yes I think I am getting to this point. I have always used a tripod, but now I am looking to get to those situations where you need flexibility, so hand held is the only way, however my cam is notorious for not having any real steady shot functionality (sony VG20 with E to A lens adapter - the A lenses have zero stability function on this cam).

And then of course, it's the slider, for some super cinema scope shots

I'm kind of pleased because I'm not the kind of person that just goes out and buys all the stuff, I wait for my progress to dictate that I need it, so for me, this is that progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast