Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: I'm new at editing, what software should I use?

  1. #1

    Default I'm new at editing, what software should I use?

    Hi there

    I'm new at editing and I've got only experience with Windows Movie Maker (simple, but not what I want) and VideoPad (I found out it's quite bad).
    I've got a youtube channel where I want to post music videos of my favorite movies/TV series, but they aren't what I want them to be with WMM or VideoPad. I'm also making a horror-like short film for French with my friends and I want it to be as good as possible and maybe, if it's good enough, post it on my youtube channel too. But I have no clue what software is good for what I want to do:
    - sound, music, video editing
    - adding text (credits, titles, ...)
    - adding effects (colors, transitions, ...)

    I'm filming with a Nikon Coolpix S9500 if that matters. I've got windows XP SP3 and I would like the software to be free, but it doesn't really matter...

  2. #2

    Default

    The most recent thread with software tips and some general advice here.
    Sony's Movie Studio version 12 needs at least Vista though. The previous version with many extras (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Production Suite 11, which works with XP) seems to be available at a bargain price at the moment.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    972

    Default

    You could try to download Windows Live Movie Maker (for HD footage), - but you may still have to upgrade yr PC + OS to Win 7, or newer. However, having tried WLMM I found the features poor and confusing, by contrast Sony's Movie Studio is far easier (although you do need to learn it by following the Show Me How active tutorials) - also I'd rec you get the "Suite" version, e.g. SVMS Suite v12 ~ 35 Amazon looks like a real bargain.
    On Sony creative website there is some tutorial material. (mostly for the Vegas software, which is the PRO version).

    V12 has plenty of Video tracks, plenty of "Text" tracks and v12 permits animated text DYOR. and there are plenty of Audio tracks - but for starters, try to limit yourself to two of each, this will make things easier.

    Reading the spec of that camera it should suit yr purposes, however, I'm unclear what content is your own.... are you planning to create your own material?

    If you want to use yr Vista PC then v11 [see post#3) is perfectly acceptable, but may lack a few v12 features - Sony Website may explain this difference.

    However, if you are using HD media, then maybe it's time to update the PC - Look for a quad-core, with a decent Graphics card (not "integrated").....SVMS works with 32-bit OS, but do buy 4G of RAM .... again DYOR.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-30-2013 at 02:20 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    --- SVMS Suite v12 ~ 35 Amazon looks like a real bargain.
    ---
    If you want to use yr Vista PC then v11 [see post#3) is perfectly acceptable, but may lack a few v12 features ---
    The OP did say this:
    Quote Originally Posted by JVdShadow View Post
    --- I've got windows XP SP3 and I would like the software to be free, but it doesn't really matter...
    This was from post #2:
    Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    --- Sony's Movie Studio version 12 needs at least Vista though. The previous version with many extras (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Production Suite 11, which works with XP) seems to be available at a bargain price at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    --- However, if you are using HD media, then maybe it's time to update the PC ---
    Right

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Sony's Movie Studio version 12 needs at least Vista though. The previous version with many extras (Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Production Suite 11, which works with XP) seems to be available at a bargain price at the moment.
    Thanks, I'm trying it now, following some tutorials.

    Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    You could try to download Windows Live Movie Maker (for HD footage), - but you may still have to upgrade yr PC + OS to Win 7, or newer. However, having tried WLMM I found the features poor and confusing, by contrast Sony's Movie Studio is far easier (although you do need to learn it by following the Show Me How active tutorials) - also I'd rec you get the "Suite" version, e.g. SVMS Suite v12 ~ 35 Amazon looks like a real bargain.
    On Sony creative website there is some tutorial material. (mostly for the Vegas software, which is the PRO version).

    V12 has plenty of Video tracks, plenty of "Text" tracks and v12 permits animated text DYOR. and there are plenty of Audio tracks - but for starters, try to limit yourself to two of each, this will make things easier.

    Reading the spec of that camera it should suit yr purposes, however, I'm unclear what content is your own.... are you planning to create your own material?

    If you want to use yr Vista PC then v11 [see post#3) is perfectly acceptable, but may lack a few v12 features - Sony Website may explain this difference.

    However, if you are using HD media, then maybe it's time to update the PC - Look for a quad-core, with a decent Graphics card (not "integrated").....SVMS works with 32-bit OS, but do buy 4G of RAM .... again DYOR.
    I think you misunderstood me or I'm misunderstanding you, but I've got windows XP and not Vista. And I've got a Quad Core and a new graphics card, so I don't think there's anything wrong for video editing with my PC, except XP is getting outdated. But a new computer or a new OS is expensive for me.
    The content of the music videos is not my own, it's from TV series or movies, the music is also not from myself, but I credit everything. But what I film with my own camera is obviously from me, today I finished filming with my friends.

  6. #6

    Default

    Depending on your level of expertise in video editing, I would recommend Adobe After Effects Software.

  7. #7

    Default

    I recommend you to use aneesoft video converter of which editor feature can trim, crop and add effects. The most important is that its operation is very simple.

  8. #8

    Default

    Ok, I've got this irritating problem: Sony Vegas is suddenly very slow, I could perfectly work with it in the beginning but now everything is so slow... I can't even render my video, I get the message that my memory is running too low. I've got 2 GB of RAM and an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600; 2.40 GHz. So actually it should work fine. I even cleaned up my computer recently, I've deleted several programs I didn't use anymore.

    Otherwise I can perfectly open like hundred internet pages at the same time, watching a movie, download a dozen things and work with PSE.

  9. #9

    Default

    JVd,
    some things that may help (from SCS Knowledgebase)
    1. Turn down Dynamic RAM Preview as this will free up memory for other tasks. This can be done by clicking Options > Preferences > Video tab. We recommend setting this value to 64MB for standard definition projects and 100MB for high definition projects.
    2. Set the rendering threads to 1 on this same screen as a troubleshooting step.
    3. Turning down the number of video thumbnails will also free up memory and is more noticable on larger projects. Click on Options > Preferences > Video tab and set the Show source frame numbers on event thumbnails to "None".

    But you really should have 4 GB of RAM and one of the latest builds (preferably build 322) of VMSP 11. More than 4 GB won't help in version 11.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    JVd,
    some things that may help (from SCS Knowledgebase)
    1. Turn down Dynamic RAM Preview as this will free up memory for other tasks. This can be done by clicking Options > Preferences > Video tab. We recommend setting this value to 64MB for standard definition projects and 100MB for high definition projects.
    2. Set the rendering threads to 1 on this same screen as a troubleshooting step.
    3. Turning down the number of video thumbnails will also free up memory and is more noticable on larger projects. Click on Options > Preferences > Video tab and set the Show source frame numbers on event thumbnails to "None".

    But you really should have 4 GB of RAM and one of the latest builds (preferably build 322) of VMSP 11. More than 4 GB won't help in version 11.
    I did everything you told, but it's still the same on my computer.
    Then I've installed everything on my dad's PC today (I only see him once a week, so it's difficult, but yeah) and there everything worked fine, it's the only PC I got access to with 4GB of RAM.

    I'm thinking of buying a new computer with enough RAM and everything, because I'm always getting more limitations with my PC and it starts to annoy me. It will be a hell of a cost though for me...
    Thanks anyway everyone (:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 09:41 AM
  2. Editing audio in video editing software, waveform visual problems
    By Oliver_dickson in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-15-2011, 04:24 PM
  3. Tips for AVCHD HD editing / Converting / Editing Software
    By bboyta in forum AVCHD and HDV editing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 10:36 AM
  4. editing software?
    By dkj in forum General video editing software help and advice
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
  5. DVD Editing Software
    By spiidey in forum Blu Ray, DVD, SVCD and VCD authoring
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2007, 09:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •