Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you add a custom avatar to your YouTube video???

Default How do you add a custom avatar to your YouTube video???

Is there any way for me to add a custom thumbnail to my videos on youtube??

Custom thumbnails are reserved to Youtube Partners. Or at the very least they were before.

Getting partnership was made notably easier earlier this year, I suggest you apply for that.

thank you!!!! now, HOW DO I DO THAT ?! Where do I apply??? May you please send me the link! Through Makerstudios?? I didn't see that option on there..

Ah, time to reboot my memory... I take it Makerstudios is a Youtube network? Not part of one myself, I'm partnered in bit more traditional way to Youtube itself. Back in the day you could apply from www.youtube.com/partners, but I think you can straight up apply to partnership with Youtube from your Youtube profile settings or channel settings somewhere.

Its noteworthy that it may be longish process if you don't already have Google Adsense (the way they pay ad revenues to partners). I didn't have one when they accepted me and it took some jumping through the hoops to get my adsense running. Should have been easy, but had some bad luck with me.

Good luck.

*edit*

Forgot to mention. There are also many other Youtube networks than Youtube itself that offer partnership with similar terms and abilities (custom thumbnails etc), but if you're not familiar with partnership in general I'd suggest steering clear from them for a while. They usually have slightly different contracts, but in turn might offer slightly different benefits too. Standard youtube partnership is simple enough when it comes to terms.
    Last edited by SSCinema; 10-27-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Check this out! I am lost. It says I can't appy unless Im from Ukraine.. oh well, I am, but that doesnt help

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/72857?hl=en&ref_topic=14965

Okay! Progress! I did it. I disabled my account. Now what is it supposed to change? Do you know?

Things changed, you don't need partnership, you just need to have your youtube account verified which is done by giving them your phone number and they text you a verification code. This gives you extra features in your you tube account including custom thumbnails.

Go to channel settings/features from your video manager screen.

Thank you! Thank you! I will see how successful I will fulfill this task tomorrow, when Im due for my next episode, but I will try my best. Also I might start working on custom thumbnails for all of them, since I have that option now, before I advertise it, you know. Now i have to hire someone... And get the screen shots from my editor, or pay him to make them.. I'll figure sth out. Thanks again for your time guys!!! You rock

It takes 2 seconds to get a screenshot of a frame, I don't think you need to hire someone for that lol, depends on your software I suppose.

Youtube does a great job of picking out good thumbnails, I have only had to load about 2 custom ones. Maybe in your case a themed series of shots may work better since you are running a series. That's the beauty of it really, the thumbnail does not have to come from the actual film.

Good thing you got it sorted out, I knew things were changing but wasn't familiar with the concept of verified channels.

I woudn't say that Youtube does great job picking thumbnails, as they are not exactly chosen by some algorithm based on what is on the screen at the moment. If I recall correctly they are just random screens based on certain time points (I think they were like 1/3rd of the video, halfway etc). It can lead to good thumbnails, but it can also lead to situations where one of them is black frame, one is shot from credits and one is half-way decent shot of a random tree. It was especially problematic in action sequences when it kept offering me thumbnails from parts where actor had just ducked/falled out of the view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast