Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handling high noise levels at live music events.

Default Handling high noise levels at live music events.

Hi,
    I've just registered here and have a question about high noise levels at live events and how I could reduce the distortion when recording.
    I follow the live bands around my area and would like to film a few, but the noise levels are so high the sound is distorted beyond recognition.
    I am only using a handycam and wondered if there are tips and tricks to filter the levels down?
    Any help would be good.

Cheers

Is there a way to turn down the recording level on the camera ? That's about the best I can think, even if you do handle the over loading, it's not going to sound very good but if it's acceptable for you then ok.

If you can't lower the input level on the camera you could try covering the mic with something this will probably take away the top end and just leave the muffled bass. It's really a tricky problem to solve.

Hi Bodge, handycam mic inputs distort real easy, I think it's as much to do with the quality of the built in compressors etc as it is the cheap microphone. I've noticed a big improvement since I upgraded my cam, with a real mic, but most of all the compression sofware in there does a remarkable job.

Best option is talk nice to sound guy and get a line output from a room mic, and stream it to a laptop so you can record it, and sync it later. A half decent condenser mic situated above the sound desk and running through the desk compression will sound so much better, but retain the live feel. This is not a big hardship to a sound person as it is for them to mix you an output, and besides the drums can fail badly on sound desk mixes due to mic placement or lack of them.

Or buy a cheap other cam, put it at the back of the room, the sound may be better, and you also have extra footage to edit with

Thanks Stripe,
    That has given me something to harass the sound guy with. I'll try and get on their good side next time I see him in the pub.
    I'm quite enjoying the hanycam and looking at using it with a tripod to smoothout the panning as I'm still a bit jumpy when changing direction.
    Any ideas for a mid range cam for indoor use such as this??. Maybe with external mic inputs.

What camcorder are you using/have access to?
    Do you have a moving-coil mic (eg like those used by singers)...?
    Budget to resolve this issue...?
    Are you being paid for this, OR have a target audience, perhaps?

Are you working from a fixed position, or free to move about?
    Are you always filming the Band, or is it audience as well?
    What''s the position over any copyright material?

Over to you...

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    What camcorder are you using/have access to? Sony Handycam
    Do you have a moving-coil mic (eg like those used by singers)...? Not yet
    Budget to resolve this issue...? Ummmmm not sure yet.
    Are you being paid for this, OR have a target audience, perhaps? Hobby really, just enjoy the music scene.

Are you working from a fixed position, or free to move about? Free to move about
    Are you always filming the Band, or is it audience as well? Both.
    What''s the position over any copyright material? Local live events, no rights issues

Over to you...
    The video I am happy with for what I want but like I said the audio levels just seem to be too much for the cam. :(

Quote Originally Posted by paulears View Post
    Hang on! You mentioned 'PUB'..
    Yeah, a bands sound guy drinks in one of the pubs in town. But I have filmed in a pub before and it doesn't work as well as say a town hall.

I use a Zoom Q3HD to capture all my live performance video and I think it sounds pretty damn amazing, as do the bands I work with...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MElKwGe0kAA

That's a tough test Prolifik, I think it handles the onslaught well. It may have got mushy in places, and there was a lot of compression going on, but it couldn,t get much tougher for built in mics. How much post processing did you do on the audio? Sounds like you may have used loudness normalise?

Since I spotted about 5 camera angles there, did you have this cam stationary, was it the one at the back? I read it has auto leveling, but wonder how that would fare if you were moving around with the cam. Maybe you have tried it? A true test for me would be to hear the raw sound from a video whilst moving around.

I think it becomes a great answer for the OP because this cam can be stationary at the back, has rave reviews for sound quality, and offers the extra editing footage. I might have to seriously look at this one for the same reasons.
    Last edited by Stripe; 10-31-2013 at 05:42 AM.

The device does pretty damn well under most conditions, and it seems the louder the better (just make sure you put in on the Low setting instead of Auto or High). I use the Zoom software's "Ultra Max", "Maximum", or "Clear and Power" auto-mastering processing, and then use a Graphic EQ on Sony Vegas to tweek it to my liking. If I knew more about the audio effects on Vegas I'm sure I could get it to sound better. I always place the device in a fixed location so sound doesn't alter, that is chosen by moving around and finding the sweet spot by ear. The drawback with the camera is that it's not the greatest, and only has digital zoom. It's basically a Zoom H2 with a cheaper cam built onto it. We have just recently started turning off the camera and only use the audio capturing on it, and use a better cam in it's place for visual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast