Thread: Archery tutorial about creating selfnocks for arrows

Default Archery tutorial about creating selfnocks for arrows

My latest archery tutorial about creating selfnocks is life. I tried some new things, to incorporate your advice on my last videos and need some feedback.

It's the first time I worked with stop trick animations to make the enumeration a bit more interesting. Are they fine or could I improve them?

I used my new microphone and had some issues finding the right recording level. The audio turned out to be either too quite or too noisy. The result is now a noise-filtered volume-boosted voice-over. Do the settings fit so far or do you have tips how to make them better.

I never scripted the text for my videos before but this time I did. Somehow I am not totally satisfied with the result did I do anything obviously wrong?

As a non-native English speaker I did at least five takes for each text section and chose the best one. Do I have a bad pronunciation or heavy accent? According to Youtube's automatic voice recognition I must have done a terrible job. You should enable it just for fun

I know there are some issues with the visuals. The work bench part is taken with my old camera and I compensated brightness, saturation and lens distortion already. Furthermore are some stills out of focus. I would have re-taken them but at some point I needed things just to get done.

I enjoyed watching it very much. And most importantly, I learnt several things. Thanks for posting it.

I thought your voice was re-assuring, steady and confident. Yes, there were some lines which I could not interpet well (e.g. @01:08 'afterwards, mark how deep you want your nock to be').
    Instead of relying on YT's subtitling, could your own subtitles be added. And, as with many subtitles, they don't have to include every single word you say.
    The closeups were very informative, but some shots (from above?) tended to show lots of fingers - and not what they were doing.
    The trick of using the loop (04:02) is new to me (we don't tend to make many arrows in South London), but there was no spoken explanation at that point.
    The list of Tools at the end appear all to preceded with the number "1"? Or was it for decoration?
    I thought the stop/start animation was fun.
    I realise the clip is of use to arrow makers, but for chaps like me, I would have liked some more information at the start of the video. It assumes the viewer knows what a 'selfnock' is.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 10-27-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: minor corection

Thanks for your feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    The closeups were very informative, but some shots (from above?) tended to show lots of fingers - and not what they were doing.
    I already took shots from three different perspectives but I totally agree. This seems to be something where you need a second persons (or lots of additional effort).

we don't tend to make many arrows in South London
    And I thought each "Englishman" had to practice with his long bow regularly

The list of Tools at the end appear all to preceded with the number "1"?
    That was intended to show the amount needed but you are right - as it's always "1" it's also absolutely superfluous.

I realise the clip is of use to arrow makers, but for chaps like me, I would have liked some more information at the start of the video. It assumes the viewer knows what a 'selfnock' is.
    I really intended it for archers only but some more commentary might indeed make it interesting for a wider audience without drawing the archers off. You gave me something to think about...

Well done for doing a voice over. I think it adds a lot to the piece which seems to be fit for purpose as stated. As usual with your videos good clear instructions. Except the point that Tim pointed out at 4:02.

If I ever find myself in a survivalist situation, I'll know what to do.

Thanks. It seems as if it was not as bad as I feared