Thread: newby

Default newby

Hello,

I'm not sure if the term 'newby' is still in use

After 10 years of photography I'm stepping up to videography.
    I purchased a Panasonic AC90 and already experimented with White Balace, Iris and focus.
    Still trying to figure out, though, what settings I should use for recording.
    1080i, 50 or 30. No idea what they mean (well, just a bit, but not enough).
    Can anyone help me out?
    Also, does anyone know If live feed (for streaming purposes) is possible with this camera?

tnx

1080 is the vertical resolution. The image is then taken in 1920 x 1080 pixels. i means interlaced i.e. only each second line of an image is stored alternatingly. This is done a lot in TV for technical reasons. If you choose p for progressive complete images are stored. 50 and 30 are likely the frames per second taken. 30 Frames are usually fine only very fast motion (or slow motion) can profit from being shot at higher frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by XXLRay View Post
    1080 is the vertical resolution. The image is then taken in 1920 x 1080 pixels. i means interlaced i.e. only each second line of an image is stored alternatingly. This is done a lot in TV for technical reasons. If you choose p for progressive complete images are stored. 50 and 30 are likely the frames per second taken. 30 Frames are usually fine only very fast motion (or slow motion) can profit from being shot at higher frame rates.
    Thank you for your reply.
    What settings do you suggest for simple work in HD (web and home video)?

Have you any idea if the AC90 is able to do live feed to computer (for streaming purposes)?

In my opinion 720p 30fps is absolutely fine for most projects at least if your main target is not cinema or people always watching their videos full size on high resolution computer screens. you might think about 1080p 30fps as more and more people have full HD TVs at home but the difference to 720p is not that much (in my very personal humble opinion).

I have no experience with the AC90 at all.

tomg, first of all, where in the world are you based?

UK, Europe, Australia, New Zealand etc - use 1080/25p or 720/50p

USA, Canada etc - use 1080/30p or 720/60p

How will you be delivering your product? For DVD and the web, 720p is fine. If you ever plan on shipping Blu-ray OR you want the web versions to be full HD then you probably want to be filming in 1080p. Upscaling from 720p to 1080p is never quite as good, though 720p gives you the option of some slowmo (it's a craze that came and went - but some people still use it a lot).

The AC90 should have an HDMI out that can be used to feed a computer, but after that live streaming it starts to get complicated really quickly.