Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reality Show about a struggling musician

Default Reality Show about a struggling musician

I am an editor and videographer that specializes in music videos but one of my long time clients MC Yo Wassup recently came to me and asked me if I would edit a bunch of his old footage with footage that I got over the years of him recording and making music into a reality show about his music, life, and family. He wanted me to use very specific shots that he hand picked and I cut him the following while I think it is interesting I do not know if its honestly good enough for an engaging show. I would really like feed back on how it can be improved, or fixed up.

Thanks for your time video below.

I don't know this guy, I'm prepared to find out about him, but 3 minute intros featuring dodgy cam work, a conversation that is incomprehensible, involving a miscalaneous lady and lots of washing didn't appeal to me. Is there any reason why you think this would appeal?

Then the guy comes straight across as obnoxious, without anyone showing us why we should give him any respect for his music. Please tell me why I would want to go any further?

I got to 4.26 - forget it. I find it hard to believe that a guy can love himself so much that he actually thinks this would interest anyone bar his dog, and even then it would have to be feeding time.
    Last edited by Stripe; 10-21-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Blog Entries

I didn't think it could be as bad as Stripe said. But it was.
    In the words of Steve Miller - "Take the Money and Run"
    Tim

I thought that attributed to Occam (of O's Razor infamy).

I managed a bit further (8m) by dragging the timeline - but each section was more of the same . . . sadly I agree with Post#2.

A little further the vid shows a cyclist with very poor autofocus - sorry, I really don't get it.

I did not like the 4 minute long intro with his wife either but he was very insistent that it had to stay because it was fascinating in his eyes and it was his call since he was paying me. I do agree his video work is horrendous but I could not convince him of that lol.

Maybe . . . . one needs to more selective as to the Projects you take on.?

If it's for "home viewing only" that would be acceptable, but if it's posted on YT Vimeo, etc. then it just degrades the stuff they offer. Perhaps we do have duty to improve our output - and that must include the output of others. Familay-style clips may look interesting to close-relatives, but for everyone else, one is bound to ask "Why am I watching this?"

It's said...Most folks turn off after the first 15 seconds . . . .Ooops.

I agree with you 100% that the footage has him thinking since he likes it everyone will even though its his family and not everyone else's but he thinks its pure gold. I cannot be selective with his projects because I am his one man team for editing and shooting and normally we do music videos which I think come out pretty good. Maybe there is some interesting way of spicing up the footage if you have any ideas on how to maybe do that it would be helpful because I am out of ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Maybe . . . . one needs to more selective as to the Projects you take on.?

If it's for "home viewing only" that would be acceptable, but if it's posted on YT Vimeo, etc. then it just degrades the stuff they offer. Perhaps we do have duty to improve our output - and that must include the output of others. Familay-style clips may look interesting to close-relatives, but for everyone else, one is bound to ask "Why am I watching this?"

It's said...Most folks turn off after the first 15 seconds . . . .Ooops.

Quote Originally Posted by theog View Post
    Maybe there is some interesting way of spicing up the footage if you have any ideas on how to maybe do that it would be helpful because I am out of ideas.
    Maybe introduce some cuts and different zoom levels. I think that would be at least better than keeping it like that. Applying some image stabilization wouldn't hurt.

It may have more impact if it were alot shorter. It currently runs for almost 11 mins. I would aim to make it last around 6 mins. For example - The bike ride around 08:30 wastes over 5 secs out of focus. I don't think anyone wants to see that.
    Mr Wassup is not doing himself any favours if he chooses to include clips which don't project him in the best light.
    I might be more inclined to clear up the current ingredients before adding more spice.
    It may just be me, but I had difficulty hearing all the words. Some subtitles might be useful from time to time.

It is too long and more importantly It just doesn't wash.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast