Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest music video.

Default Latest music video.

We've just finished work on our latest music video for our band PocketSizedGiants. The last video I posted here got some negative feedback due to the absence of the singer's face. Well in a departure from our previous videos which were primarily animated and effects based we've gone this time for a live action video. Hope you like it, all constructive comments welcomed.

If you're interested our previous video (without the singers face can be accessed here. (http://youtu.be/znZBaLq8Kvs)

From a technical perspective the video was produced in Pinnacle Studio 16, camera was a Panasonic HDC-SD600

Enjoy !!!

I liked the writing idea but missed a bit variety in the visuals.

Rather dull and very lazy in the writing and editing sense, to the point where I had nothing to think about except why the left hand side of your frame is blurry, would have to be a faulty lens?

Black and white/blue footage will never make sense to me.

On the plus side you got the feeling across, but without any story or twist or anything, zzzzzzzzzz.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Rather dull and very lazy in the writing and editing sense, to the point where I had nothing to think about except why the left hand side of your frame is blurry, would have to be a faulty lens?

Black and white/blue footage will never make sense to me.

On the plus side you got the feeling across, but without any story or twist or anything, zzzzzzzzzz.

Sorry you didn't like it, for the record the blur was a video effect/look which I guess is a matter of taste but we wanted to keep the video story line simple but raw footage didn't have any feel.
    I'm glad at least that we got the feeling across, at the end of the day it's a slow ballad so having lots of flashy sequences would have been incongruous.

I think the two clips show are a wide range of skills, techniques, and talent. I also think it is difficult to create videos for slow ballads with such inprospecive lyrics. There may seem to be few ways to use a video to help emphasive particular words or phrases. Of course the 'writing' helped, but I soon got bored, and wanted some new ingredient to appear.
    The lyrics don't seem to tell much of story (as in classic Ballads), so it may fall upon the video director to create one with their imaginative skills.

I look forward to seeing the next one.

Blog Entries

Some nicely composed shots with a good variety, and the edit was sympathetic to your music (which I really like). Yes, the text wasn't my thing, and the blur/blue wash didn't quite work, but it's all about finding what works for you.

Blog Entries

I thought the video was appropriate for the music. Including the lyrics which, unlike the others, I liked (if we're talking about the overlaid lyrics) - they were only present occasionally and hence emphasised those particular lines (were they the best lines to emphasise though?)

Inexcusable was the spelling mistake: "I can''t work out if your just being nice." Oops!

It did seem a bit lacking in shots, and I think you know that as we were treated to a selection of fairly random shots towards the end. I wonder if the video needed another subject (currently we have the girl and the notepad) which would give you 50% more possibilities. Quite what, I don't know!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Quite what, I don't know!
    Maybe a withering flower in timelapse and a blooming one later? I mean there is already a flower in the video. Why not do something with it?

There were 3 car shots, but the first two were accidents I think, because the shots that involved cars passing were well acted and therefore unrepeatable?

The song is lovely, but as Tim said, the shots were lacking, and I still say this shoot wasn't planned well enough and as such the editing became lazy.

I think OP realises this, and we're all here to learn, however personally I wouldn't dare mess with a great song if I couldn't produce the end product. That's not a dig at OP, (I believe I defended him before), but really, a video person needs to respect an artist 100%, and this was not 100%.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I think OP realises this, and we're all here to learn, however personally I wouldn't dare mess with a great song if I couldn't produce the end product. That's not a dig at OP, (I believe I defended him before), but really, a video person needs to respect an artist 100%, and this was not 100%.
    It's probably worth reminding ourselves that the band are producing their own videos here, which as a community we have encouraged many bands to do. Within this context, I can only admire the dedication. Yes, it's not perfect, but it doesn't need to be. It's serving a purpose and the OP is asking for feedback to help improve. I think it's important to embrace that spirit and, as with any critique, consider it within the appropriate context.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast