Thread: Where do you get your information from?

Default Where do you get your information from?

Yes, 80% from the internet, I know!! If you´re like me, you read a lot, but never "save" the information on a regular basis, right? This is a bit frustrating to me, cause I know that I saw it somewhere but can never get back there....

So I decided to reduce the number of sources to books/magazines (of course), this forum and just 1 or 2 websites that I like and that, above all, interconnect all their posts in a regular way, making it easier to go back to where I was while reading something I liked. Not sure if you all found this one already (http://wolfcrow.com/ ) made in India!!! Yes, India, by a guy (Sareesh) that writes quite well (funny, interesting, etc). Lots of basic stuff to start with....

If you were to recomend just one website that you like most, it would be __________________?

Blog Entries

Let's be honest, most of what we read either isn't appropriate, stating the bleeding obvious or just plain wrong. The camera and gear reviews, the comparison videos and the self promoting blogs don't do it for me. What I like are those tips that make you say, "oh yeah". Those little bits of information you can file away and use. And more importantly tips that are free to put into practice, or give you the inspiration to film and edit.

Ditto to what Marc said. That doesn't stop me from wasting far too much time on YouTube and Vimeo. I usually make a point of watching the staff picks because they often have really good stuff to watch. One bit of advice I will pass on to video guys is to find a good photographer YouTube channel or blog someone who really knows how to frame a shot etc. I have learnt a lot from some of these guys.

The other piece of advice is "do it yourself". Address a particular aspect of video by going out there and using your camera with different settings to see what works best for you. Sometimes there isn't a right or wrong way, there is just the way that works for you. I've seen so many videos of a guy saying look at this and that and I can't tell the difference or those that say you should always do things this way or it's wrong like "Always set your shutter speed to double the frame rate or it's wrong" etc. Ok it's good advice for a noob to do that but if you become inflexible like this, you will loose the creative ability to use your shutter speed for a particular look. SO if you find someone you trust that gives good info to help with a particular issue then great BUT spending the time to work out how to do it yourself will be 10 x more beneficial.

I almost forgot. Don't make videoing all about technical this and that. Think about making emotional contact with the audience, creative original ideas etc.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 10-19-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Oh, of course I agree with you on all that.... I also can´t stand those sites/forums where the super-guys discuss ultra-micro-details of cameras that they never even used. But I mean reading some interesting unbiased (or at least 75% unbiased!) texts over basic or mid-level stuff....

Watching Vimeo Staff Picks is one of my favourite past times - I have it running on my TV n hours a day - but I also really like reading some basic technical stuff, cinematic theories, director´s biographies etc... NO, I´ll probably never use even 1% of it all, or even be able to discuss it with someone else around here....but it´s just a mind satisfaction I guess.

Been reading about RAW and sensors these days.... and you´re right: knowing how the light is filtered through diodes will not add anything to my practice.... but it can be part of having fun too!

Agree that people "just" telling what is right or wrong must be deeply filtered, but only knowledge will form this "filter", based on further reading PLUS extensive practice... To stay on MB´s example: 6 months ago all I knew was the auto function for everyting on my camera. Then I read that it would be good to keep the shutter speed at around 2 times the frame rate, then I learned that this is just a starting point etc etc etc.... If I wasn´t reading around, I would be at full auto until today!

Mind you that I´m about 10 light-years behind you guys!!!!

I have very little formal training when it comes to filmmaking or producing a video. The "real" education I got at my UAS very often made me think "that's not a fact, thats an opinion and a matter of what you want to communicate to the viewer".It felt wrong to state things like that in profession that is essentially art and thus very arguable in all fronts.

I'm not saying that one should think "screw them, I know better", but if you know what is your thing, you might find very little help from the other generic "filmmaking tips". Feedback from viewers is not to be confused with the aforementioned, as feedback is very valuable and one should always be willing to receive it. As Midnight Blue mentioned, experience is one of the best tutors. Do it the way you wish. See your mistakes and do your best not to repeat them. Attempt to improve something every time. Repeat.

So, what are my main sources of information? Mostly movies I like and some behind the scenes material & interviews provided with them. Taking a good hard look at Duck, You Sucker (1971) might teach you more about filmmaking than dozen blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    Mostly movies I like.
    Bingo!!!!!

At the moment I like the film riot channel in Youtube as they are currently shooting a film series and giving tips and insight along with this ongoing work.

Mind you that I´m about 10 light-years behind you guys!!!!
    Not at all, you produce some really good stuff. I feel as though I have to say that I'm not some sort of 25 year veteran camera man who's seen it all. I'm just like the rest of you. I shot my camera on auto as well. I got my first camera about 10 years ago and shot with auto for most of those years. It's only in the last few years since finding this forum that I started to learn how things could be done better. So you are not behind at all.

Anyway I've got to go now as I've got a meeting with a script writer for the latest feature I'm producing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Anyway I've got to go now as I've got a meeting with a script writer for the latest feature I'm producing.
    Say hello to Cohen for me!! Please tell him that I'll not be able to shoot his project next month, sorry!!!