Thread: Audio sync prob

Default Audio sync prob

Hello everyone - I can't help feeling I'm about to ask a really noob question here, but here goes :-

I'm very new to video but not new to audio/music recording & production. I use an external unit for audio - MOTU 828 - and Acoustica Mixcraft for editing. As for video, I use VideoPad (NCH) - but I'm trying out TrakAx at the moment, which I'm very close to buying, if only I can figure out this problem...

I recently set up two camcorders to record a two-way conversation, as a video podcast.
    I set up two mics too, with their resultant mix rendered as a WAV.

The intention was to cut the two video tracks, as if it was being live-mixed on a TV show, with the soundtrack chopped up accordingly and stuck to it, in sync.

Can anyone explain how one of the cameras seems to be totally out of sync with the audio, even when you find an exact match at one point? It 'goes out' with in a minute or so.

I also tried recapturing the errant track into a different destination (my laptop) just to see if that made any difference. (No)

Thank you.

[I realise I'll need better cameras eventually, but for what it's worth I've got a Sony Handicam and a Panasonic mini DV.]

For what you are doing, I think you have gone about this the wrong way round. If you have edited the audio before editing the video it will not be in sync.

The way to do it is, in the video editor, match up the audio with the video and do your cuts etc. Then when you are happy with what you have you can export the audio into an audio program for tweaking EQ etc. but not cutting.

Does this make sense ?

I have not heard of either of the video editing programs you have mentioned so take a look at Sony movie studio before you make your purchase. It is a good video editing program and has some good audio tools included.

Thanks MB!
    Actually I didn't edit the audio as such, before importing it to the Video software - I merely balanced the two mic tracks and mixed them to one mono WAV.
    When I say out of sync, I mean the speed of the video capture from the Panasonic is faster (or slower, can't remember) than the other video track AND the pure audio WAV.
    Never mind, I'm still working on it...!
    Thanks for your help - I'll look at the Sony app now.
    Tim.

Whilst I agree with the use of Sony vegas movie studio (or the full version if funds allow) the best deal IMHO is the "Suite"...SVMS v12 Suite = about 30 (Amazon, etc). Probably one of the easiest programs to use, but then I've used it for a while. The built-in guides are good to get familiar with the screen and if funds allow, then you can more directly to the Pro-version.

That losing-sync issue was aired a while ago - I think it is something to do with the relative speeds of the camcorders and the Edit software. Seems very odd and I don't recall the solution other than to adjust the Edit speed very slightly - the fiddle factor should be noted for use another session. This might mean shooting (with both cameras), e.g. a few minutes of a clock-face, with ticking . . . and comparing the outputs in the Editor.
    Sorry, I don't remember where/how this pans out.

NCH software is er, budget ish, but quite expensive as there are no discounts. whereas SVMS is probably superior and certainly a lot cheaper as it's discounted from the 80 offered by Sony. The Pro upgrade path means that you can rub shoulders with very fancy gear and keyframe effects. The fully featured Pro is about 800, so a 30 "intro" looks like a very sensible purchase, IMHO.
    Sorry, don't recognise the other software mentioned.

SVMS comes with SoundForge - an audio editor which I use for many daily jobs . . . it's somewhat equiv of Audacity, but integrated with the video-Editor - so you can do the audio without all the video bits.
    Last edited by vidmanners; 10-22-2013 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks very much for your very comprehensive answer.
    I'll look at the Sony Suite but you might all want to check out the trial version of TrakAx - I speak as someone who has seen the limitations of Moviemaker and VideoPad (I know these are way below your level, btw!) and TRakAx seems a light year away, for around 30 quid.
    I've used Soundforge in the past and liked it - however, for my current needs, I swear by Mixcraft by Acoustica for my audio editing.
    Thanks again - I think I'll have to stick to the Handicam (which I love) and maybe switch to a card-memory camera for the other angle, my thinking being that at least there are no moving tape parts to go at different speeds!
    Cheers,
    Tim.

Sounds like a nightmare that is unworthy of a simple podcast conversation.

You say you have no experience, and then attempt 2 separate mics with 2 different cams that are probably recording different frame rates etc.

All I can say is to step back to the basics, your logistics seem like overkill.

Fair enough!
    I did say it was a noobie question - as for the mics though, that doesn't matter: they're still recorded together, in real time, and I just get the balance right before creating a wav, for use in the video.
    My experience is all in music & sound not video.
    Thanks for your reply.