Thread: Final Cut Pro X - dealing with long clips

Default Final Cut Pro X - dealing with long clips

Hi, I am new to Final Cut Pro and have downloaded a trial copy of FCP X onto my macbook.

I have a lot of very long clips and I am confused by the options for dealing with them.

I have read that you can split clips by creating a compound clip from a selected part of a clip, but I donít know what happens to the new clip if I delete the one it was created from?

I also understand that I can mark sections of clips and favourite them. But assume that the bits that are not favourites are still on my computer
    One of my main objectives is to get rid of a lot of unwanted footage which is taking up lots of storage space.

If I shoot 30 mins of film, I probably only want to keep five minutes of it. I donít want the rest to be stored on my hard drive.

I cannot get around the long clips at the filming stage as I am filming myself dog training with the camera remote from me.

Essentially I want to be able to edit long clips and remove wastage in my raw footage from my hard drive, this seems a very basic function and I feel sure I have overlooked something.

Can anyone advise me?

Pippa

Using fcpx to split clips is like buying a 2009 Concept Camaro and using it to crush ants in your driveway - there should be a copy of iMovie on your compooper and it will do the job without any hassles - once you export the stuff you want from iMovie you can move the original footage to your archive
    Last edited by zamiotana; 10-19-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zamiotana View Post
    Using fcpx to split clips is like buying a 2009 Concept Camaro and using it to crush ants in your driveway - there should be a copy of iMovie on your compooper and it will do the job without any hassles
    Thank you for you reply, so to use FCP I would need to import my media into iMovie, remove unwanted footage from the clips there, and then transfer to FCP to edit. Perhaps I should try a trial of Adobe premiere to see if that would be better suited to my needs.

Many thanks
    Pippa

I guess what I am saying is that you probably don't need FCP at all.

[QUOTE=Pippa;203748]Hi, I am new to Final Cut Pro and have downloaded a trial copy of FCP X onto my macbook.

I have a lot of very long clips and I am confused by the options for dealing with them.

Select the parts of it that matter to your movie, and press "E" to string them together in the timeline (project). Or give a Keyword to each part you are gonna use, and build your project from that.

I have read that you can split clips by creating a compound clip from a selected part of a cli
    It's the other way around: a lot of clips in the timeline (which is called 'Project' in FCPX, can be 'grouped' in a Compound clip to tidy things up. A Compound clip has it's own icon. Double-click on it to alter the contents of it.

but I donít know what happens to the new clip if I delete the one it was created from?

I also understand that I can mark sections of clips and favourite them. But assume that the bits that are not favourites are still on my computer Of course
    One of my main objectives is to get rid of a lot of unwanted footage which is taking up lots of storage space. As your project is finished export it with the best possibel quality, and delete all.

If I shoot 30 mins of film, I probably only want to keep five minutes of it. I donít want the rest to be stored on my hard drive. As your project is finished export it with the best possibel quality, and delete all.

Tip: watch all the tutorials about FCPX of Steeve Patrick or Izzy Video. Good luck.

Jan's last point is the most impotant one. If you are planning to use a real NLE like PPRO or FCP, then you really need to do the tutorials or you will waste a lot of time.

There are lots of ways to deal with long clips.

1) Don't import them all unless you really need to. In the import dialog you can select in/out points to import (you can select multiple ins and outs within the same clips) - although some media types don't allow this.

2) Within the event browser you can select favourite parts of the clips and reject parts of the clips. If you know a section will not be needed you can mark that section (including multiple sections) within a long clip and then tell FCPX to hide the rejected sections. This has the effect of splitting the clips within the event viewer, even though FCPX will be referencing the original long clip. It will appear as multiple shorter clips.

3) You can keyword just parts of a clip so that when you select that keyword, only part of the long clip (the part of the clip you key worded) appears.

Because FCPX is more metadata driven, splitting long clips in to multiple shorter clips within the event browser (without physically splitting the clip) is the easiest of all things to do No need to create compound clips to do this, and besides, compound clips have other side effects, such as slowing the system down and also preventing some functions, such as stabilisation from working in the project sequence.

Once you have all the sections you need, put them on the project timeline and then duplicate the project / event and only copy the media used.
    Last edited by David Partington; 10-31-2013 at 12:29 PM.