Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From live band to music video?

Default From live band to music video?

My latest attempt at turning a live performance into a music video.

I think I must be getting better at it. This was an off the cuff hit with a sony vg20 on a stationary tripod, (HD 25fps) and some radical/zoom footage taken with that crappy JVC Enviro SD piece of junk that I still own. I knew straight away that I had the footage I wanted.

Half a day of editing, and the film that I envisioned at the time of filming came to fruition. That's a major breakthrough for me, maybe the hard yards are starting to pay off?

I'm quite pleased with it for many reasons, especially considering this is a total of 6 hours work coming from a live situation, using on board mics, and with no preconceived notions. I'm personally pleased because this was a band I had been seeking out for a while, and to do something good with them is fulfilling.

Any comments are welcome.

Works very well! One very tasty drummer too (as a drummer that is not, as a girly ) I have a live band to film/edit next week so if it works out this good I'll be pleased. Good camera positions help so I hope I'm in luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I think you did a reasonable job of cutting this together from one fixed camera. I think some of the zooms went too far in, as at the extremes it is quite pixelated. There is a bit too much zooming for my taste. Also some of the pan movement would look more natural if they were slower.

Apart from those minor points you captured a good performance of a good song. Especially the chemistry with the drummer and the bass player.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 10-19-2013 at 09:57 PM.

I thought the video was good. But the bass on the audio was a little overpowering.
    At 02:14, I wanted (expected) to see the lead guitarist for a few seconds. Not the other bloke's head.

Its a good editing job! The audio and video were not helpful, but you turned them into a good final product. Not that Im able to solve the problem, but I guess that on live band videos, the audio must be perfect, quite above the expected. I watched this one yesterday and got impressed by the simplicity of the video with the quality of the audio:

Thanks guys, some good points, and I'm happy overall that in general the video works as well as I thought it did.

A lot of the points are very much 'editors choice' I think, which makes it all permissible. Above all I think I would label this Organic Filming, in that I took what was available (the girl dancing with the flare) and captured the interaction between that and the band in order to make a video with content - that is very pleasing to me.

As I was posting this I was watching Rage (Aussie MTV) and if I had posted the video being shown on there I would have been ripped to pieces. I find it extraordinary how the camerawork in this world can be so lazy and lax, and somehow it's acceptable at that level. Striving for perfection is not the be all and end all it seems. I guess as long as the feel is correct, the camerawork can come 2nd?

On the same note re the sound, for a live recording, I want to hear incidentals, and a bit of rough, otherwise it isn't conveying a live performance anymore. But I'm also at the mercy of the sound desk, which on this occasion was ordinary.

Major lesson learned, and for Zero, in future I'll be paying attention to the events around the performance and making the most of them in order to reflect the present moment feel of that performance.

Blog Entries

A good edit indeed, given the raw material wasn't perfect. I've got to agree with zero, the drummer was very useful. The close up (ish) shots of her really lifted the video because not only does it direct one's ttention to what the drummer is playing but she looked so mych like she was enjoying herself it was infectious (whereas therest of the band looked typically serious). I was reminded somewhat of Tam Wikenfeld playing bass with Jeff Beck at Ronnie Scott's (it's a great session and readily available on YouTube)
    Tim

After reading "stationary tripod" I was kind of worried the video might be on the boring side - only one angle feels kind of unorthodox in music videos based on live recordings. That sentence might have worked to your advantage, as I was positively surprised after expecting lesser result. In the end, it was good. Even thought it was all filmed from one angle, your cuts brought some interesting variation in it without making it visually monotone. It might have benefitted from additional footage like filming the audience or additional angle of the stage, but I understand cameras don't exactly grow in trees.

Minor nitpicks of mine;

2:36 - 2:39: Were the "flashing" cuts needed? It was the very first thing in the video that felt "out of place" for me. I think it would have been just fine without them.

3:30: The girl with the flashy thing freezing/stopping just before the fade to other shot. It is a little something that catches the eye and made me think "huh?". Was it done on purpose or was is supposed to fade into other shot earlier?

To answer your question about the yards paying off; yes, I think it's safe to say so.

Great video

A few grainy zooms

SSCinema, yes it was deliberate, and right on the drum beat too, isn't it great when it all just works? The earlier spinning flare is actually a frame looping, however it comes across like a natural spin well caught on cam - tee hee.

Funny thing about the angle because I was sat doing manual cam about 3-4 metres to the left of main cam and at ground level - that is not a lot of difference in angle, yet it was enough to create a different feel. This was memorable for the cut at 2.46 where the girls arm comes around and snaps down into the next frame, she's still in shot enough on the main cam to give the effect that she has 'whip cracked' the cam/frame change. I think it's a remarkable edit that could only be done through this cam placement, and deserves future attention for some kind of freaky effect.

Yeah I don't like the drum roll flashes either, the flash is coming from the stage light, however it comes across almost as white frames, I may revisit that.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast