Thread: Canon XF100 or XA20? (or something else)

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Canon XF100 or XA20? (or something else)

It's about time I bought an HD camera. I need a cemera that I can grab and shoot. Fiddling around adding and XLR pre-amp (Juiced Link/Beachtek) is fine when I have a planned shot, but it's so much handier to have the XLRs built in (not having to worry about yet another battery and finding the little 3.5mm jack cable).
    Similary, whilst I really like the results some people can get from DSLRs, the setting up, lack of on-board audio etc rather rules out anything like that. Also I'm occasionally called upon to shoot shows so something which needs rebooting every few minutes isn't really an option.
    I suppose it's fair to say my camerawork is a bit more ENG than DoP.
    Any creativity I have tends to happen in front of the camera or in the edit.

So, I want a good all round camera - a jack of all trades master of none.

I've always been a fan of Panasonic, but the only thing they have in my sort of price range is the AC90 which only has 1/4in sensors.

So we're really down to the XF100 vs the XA20

Advantages of the XA20:
    1. Remove the handle and look less conspicuous when needed
    2. More current technology
    3. 20x Zoom (this is very useful)
    4. Better LCD screen

Advantage of XF100
    1. 50Mbps 4:2:2 recording format (I'm not kidding myself I'm going to be providing stuff for broadcast, but this gives me more latitude as far as grading goes, right?)
    2. It feels a bit more solidly built

I can get either new for a very similar price (1700-1800 inc VAT)

Any thoughts? Experiences. All advice appreciated.

If it's really just between these two then the XF100 would be my choice. I haven't used either of these cameras but the spec. is so much better on the XF100. Better manual controls, better codec is worth the money in my opinion.

I've never held the XF100

The XA20 is a nice camera -- for a professional video camera it is small, lightweight and easy to use

Nonetheless, if the price is really that close, then the XF100 is probably a better buy