Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixed Footage

Default Mixed Footage

I am sure this has been covered before but I cannot find exactly what I need in my search so far.

I use Sony Movie Studio Plat 12.

I would like some advice for the best workflow to achieve uniform quality in a project when I mix the input media.

1.The main volume of footage is Gopro Hero 3 1080@50 fps and that of course is progressive footage. I transcode all of this footage to Cineform AVI with the same settings using Gopro Cineform Studio..
    2. MS project properties are set to match the above media. I am happy with my workflow and results when dealing only with the Gopro footage.

( Workflow for Gopro only footage is ....Match media for project/disable resample all clips/render mainconcept HD 1080 at 25fps ( CBR 20mb)

3. Second set of input footage is AVCHD 1080 50i from a Sony Camcorder.

I have tried treating the AVCHD footage separately in a dedicated MS project and rendering out to Mainconcept HD 1080....then importing that to my main project but the results are not very good presumably because of the double render. The AVCHD image is not sharp.

Blog Entries

My recent experience with current editing software is that timelines can cope with pretty much any standard format without the need for any transcoding. You shouldn't need to transcode either the gopro for the sony footage. My workflow (in Premiere) is to create a sequence based on the format with the most footage, and drop everything to that timeline.

You seem to have been on this quest for some time Mike.

I do the same as Marc. I just throw all my mixed footage on the same time line. I do tend to keep the different types of footage on different track but don't know if that makes any difference at all. I know you have said in the past that you prefer to do the slowmo from the GoPro in Cineform which is fine as it produces a good codec to work with.

As for the AVCHD I don't see any point in messing with it. If you do want to transcode it you should use a good near lossless codec like Lagarith, the draw back is large files. AVCHD can be a very weak codec for editing, I've found that it doesn't take much pulling at it before it tears, especially in colour correcting/grading. I tend not to transcode but if I found that I needed to, I would probably use good old DVC Pro HD as I've used it many times from one of my cameras. It's a good strong codec and not as large as the massive .avi files from the lossless codecs.

Thanks both. I appreciate MS will accept both types of footage direct to the timeline within the same project ...... I guess my main problem is that AVCHD is just so poor compared to the Gopro output especially if I use
    2.7k. I had thought about transcoding the Sony footage with a lossless codec so I will try Lagarith and see how that goes. The Sony Camcorder also has a FX setting ( I am using the FH setting currently which has an average bit rate of 17mbps......FX has a max of 24mbps) I may also try that. Gopro at 1080/50fps is an average of about 36mbps so FX will be closer. It does seem to me that it is the interlaced encoding that is the biggest problem. I tend to only get ( in my view) acceptable footage, when using a tripod and avoiding any panning. Even so subjects that cross the field of view do not look clear. The best improvement I have found in terms of viewing rather than editing is by invoking the Yadif x2 deinterlace mode but I cannot seem to get even that quality in a rendered video and I do not have the option to choose that mode in MS.

ps re transcoding the Gopro footage. I have found that in 1080@50fps, and 2.7k @25fps modes using Gopro Cineform Studio to transcode ( and in terms of 2.7k to downscale to 1080) not only makes editing preview totally smooth but also improves the rendered outcomes..........possibly because the render codec works better on the cineform avi format than mp4 or maybe because the load on both processor and RAM is greatly reduced. Cineform also does a better job of grading than MS ( IMHO). Zooming and slowmo is also better done in Cineform. If I use 960 which has a max framerate of 100fps, or 1440 Cineform can slowmo and convert to 16:9 with dynamic horizontal adjustment. So all in all Gopro Cineform Studio ( which is free!) is a valued first step in my workflow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    I guess my main problem is that AVCHD is just so poor compared to the Gopro output especially if I use

ps re transcoding the Gopro footage. I have found that in 1080@50fps, and 2.7k @25fps modes using Gopro Cineform Studio to transcode ( and in terms of 2.7k to downscale to 1080) not only makes editing preview totally smooth but also improves the rendered outcomes..........
    AVCHD and mp4 are essentially the same thing. The difference isn't the codec, it's the resolution. Your editor will struggle with 2.7k. Converting to 1080p means you're editing in a format that your system can handle. Beyond this conversion, you shouldn't need to do anything else, and you shouldn't really be having the problems with the Sony footage. Could you upload a sample file from your Sony that you think is poor? I'd be interested to see it.

Default Interpolate

Thanks for your interest. I will come back to you once I have tried a few things.

First off I am trying again with the suggestion to import straight to the timeline ( i.e. my transcoded gopro footage and my Sony Handycam footage). I think I may have found one thing already. I checked project properties ( my default project settings) and whilst I had field order set for "progressive..i.e None, I had deinterlace set as " blend". Changing that to "interpolate" has considerably improved the preview of the Sony footage and made no difference to the Gopro footage...........I am going to edit a very short video with both types of footage and render and see what I get.

....That worked!!........I am now happy with the Sony footage integrated into a MS project set for Gopro footage. I have now set the Sony Handycam on its highest res setting ( FX) for a future test shoot, so hopefully that will improve things further.

So in summary it seems to me that the big difference was configuring MS to use Interpolate rather than blend to deal with the Sony Handycam footage. It achieves the same results ( as far as I can see) as using Yadif 2x does in in my media player ( VLC) in terms of getting rid of blur and ghosting and enabling a freeze at any frame with near perfect clarity.

All I have to do now is try to perfect my grading skills to get both sets of footage to look similar!

How far up the camcorder £ ladder do you guys reckon I would need to go to match the performance of Gopro Hero 3? My current model is Sony HDR CX115.

San Diego, Ca, USA

Dont forget that i/interlaced footage uses 2 frames to make a single frame.... So your 50i footage can be converted to 25p/progressive....

Hi..thanks, yes I appreciate that and that is my workflow. I have now tried using the FX setting on my Sony Handycam and that together with setting MS to use Interpolate rather than blend has cracked it for me.

My total workflow is now

Gopro footage transcoded/graded in cineform ............1080 @50 fps unchanged/ 2.7k @25fps downscaled to 1080 @25
    MS project set at 1080P @25fps
    Gopro footage imported to MS
    Handycam footage shot at 1080 @50i imported direct to MS
    MS project properties set to Interpolate for deinterlace
    Handycam clips selected and switches set to reduce interface flicker and resample off
    Gopro clips selected and switches set to resample off
    Post edit
    Render using mainconcept HD 1080 Profile main/frame rate 25fps/Field Order progressive/Pixel ration 1/ CBR 20mbps/CUDA enabled.

In addition I am mindful to work within the limitations of the Handycam...........very slow panning and use mini tripod or rest wherever possible. The latter is possibly standard practise but by comparison Gopro deals far better, even completely, with any camera movement whether shake of pan and when you consider it is a fraction of the size and about the same price it is amazing.

Smalltown, Queensland

Far too complex for me, but ultimately how can a go-pro interlaced beat an AVCHD progressive in the first place?

If these go-pros are that clever why are we all still using cameras? Don't you think we would all love to use cameras with that much stability?

Just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast