Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off topic... Any experienced ebayers out there?

Blog Entries

Default Off topic... Any experienced ebayers out there?

Just sold a microphone, an expensive one, clearly marked to UK mainland addresses only. The buyer turns out to be from Holland. He can't seem to pay and insisted that I change my ebay settings to allow him to do so. Also wants me to send it to a UK adress which wasn't on his profile. Obviously not an option.
    Still hasn't paid and claims that ebay have sent me a number of messages insisting I change my settings (which they haven't) to allow him to do so.
    He is now threatening to take me to court unless I sell him this microphone!
    Heh?
    More importantly, He refuses to agree to cancelling the sale, which has somewhat stuffed me selling it on a "second chance" to anyone else.
    Any ideas?

Edit: Obviously the "threat" of a court action isn't worrying me, I've only mentioned it to show what a pratt this bloke is.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 10-07-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Contact Ebay yourself. They are very used to dealing with this kind of dispute (and how the sale may be cancelled).
    Personally, I hope it goes to court. So all the members of this Forum can turn up and film it.

Blog Entries

Ebay have sort-of been helpful except that trying to explain the ins and outs of this to a person on the Indian sub-continent and then somewhere in Asia, where English is their second language, is difficult.

Their advice always starts with "once the buyer has agreed not to go ahead with the purchase"... When I tell them that the buyer is not agreeing not to go ahead with the purchase, the go into "tilt" mode and reset to saying "once the buyer has agreed not to go ahead with the purchase"...

It seems that a buyer who is being awkward for the sake of it does not compute!

Edit: If it goes to court expect fireworks! Having stood in the dock at the Old Bailey (long story, won't go into it online) an appearance at the small claims court does not worry me!

Oh no. what a bastard.

Blog Entries

I've had a similar experience. As the chap wanted the goods sent to the Uk, I received payment from the person in the UK.

Blog Entries

He is now constantly sending threats to take me to court for not selling him the item.

Personally, because of the way he's acting, I would now rather throw it out of the window than let him have it.

Incredibly annoying when this happens.

Blog Entries

The legal side is clear. He hasn't paid, he doesn't get the goods. It really is as simple as that. The reason he hasn't paid is that only people with a UK address can pay. It's how my account is set up) and this was clearly stated on the original listings... Twice.

What amazes me is the nasty way he is going about this. Really bullying, as if I'm going to cave in and say,"oh, in that case, have my six hundred pound microphone, you can send a cheque later!".

The plus side is that him fighting so hard to get it, makes me realise that the Neumann went far too cheaply! I think I'll put it up as a "buy it now" rather than an auction!

I sell about two things a year on ebay and each time I think "Never again".

Blog Entries

I strongly suspect that this is some sort of professional, or at least a re-seller. The other possibility is some sort of a scam. They claim the microphone is broken and demand a "discount". Then, either I give them some money back or they return a broken microphone. Whichever it is I'm not going to play.

I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and have had the odd problem but most purchases are trouble free. It's selling which causes the most problems. The best one was when I sold a Marantz field recorder, also for a large sum. It was returned with a stroppy letter, demanding all sorts of costs and threatening me with legal action for selling defective gear. It was so bad that when she (a supposedly experience audio engineer) plugged in a microphone, the levels were barely there. I switched the inputs from "line" to "mic" and it worked perfectly!

Muppets!

I just make sure that payment is received before I even ship the item. (or cash on collection)
    All items are shipped via tracked courier at buyers expense as clearly indicated on listing

If they do not like that...they can buy from someone else. Never had a problem so far with selling! Yes I get a lot of "Oh could you just" Nope, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast